Engls...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Re: Engls...

Post by spawnofthesith »

Mike Oxhuge wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm All I can tell you is I had a Blackmore for 3 years. I loved it. Sold and regretted. Bought an Artist. It is a more Marshally Blackmore. I sold my 72 Plexi/PS-100 because the Artist is so fucking close to that tone even at low volume. It's like the somehow included power amp distortion in the tone. Never had one issue in a combined 4 years of ownership. Then theres the high lead. Very brutal with a blend of Jose Marshall. My favorite amp I've ever owned along with the Cameron Mig and Mark IIB loop moded Coliseum. After these my next favorites are 6505 and DSL 100H.
Damn that’s a gas inducing review
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the Artist get great Marshall tones

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

The Artist is the one I want to try. I know of a 50W version for sale about 2 hours away. Think I will look into some reviews of the differences between the 50W and the 100W today.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I owned a PB1v2. It sounded awesome and probably would have recorded well but the smallish transformers weren’t great for live playing. Other 100 watt heads I had buried it.

The Artist is fucking awesome. A friend has one. When I got my Metroplex I took it to his place and we both blasted the Metroplex and Engl together. Easily some of the best tone of two loud amps in the room I’ve ever heard. The Engl was every bit as Marshally as the Metro, but was also tighter and a bit more modern. The Metro was looser (in a good way). Needless to say both of us were impressed with both amps.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

That’s awesome. The artist series seems really great.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I bought a Savage 120 MKII last November (which I never did a proper NAD for on here :lol:), and I absolutely love it. While my Revv Generator 120 MKIII is my “lifer” amp, I definitely don’t regret buying the Savage at all. That lead channel just does the brutal high gain thing so well. The clean channel on it is also amazing. It has a lot of chime, and doesn’t sound dull at all, unlike the cleans on a lot of high gain amps.

If I have any complaints about the amp, it’s that I wish it had two high gain channels in instead of two crunch channels. The second crunch channel has this really odd voicing to it that I can’t jive with at all. With that said, none of that is really a big deal since the amp has so many tonal options beyond the standard EQ, plus it has dual master volume and presence controls, so dialing in both rhythm and lead tones for the high gain stuff was pretty easy to do. Also, the first crunch channel with a boost sounds great as well. That channel definitely has some hot rodded Marshall character when boosted.

billelzebub

Post by billelzebub »

In 2019 I switched to Engl after using Mesa Recto's for 24 years after I tried out a PB2. it's so versatile and sounds great, and i could get the gain i wanted without having to use a boost. It's the only amp i've ever recorded with that didn't need to be blended with another amp. No reliability isssues. Hell, i havn't had to retube yet. Can't recommend this amp enough

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

billelzebub wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:00 am In 2019 I switched to Engl after using Mesa Recto's for 24 years after I tried out a PB2. it's so versatile and sounds great, and i could get the gain i wanted without having to use a boost. It's the only amp i've ever recorded with that didn't need to be blended with another amp. No reliability isssues. Hell, i havn't had to retube yet. Can't recommend this amp enough
I'm familiar with your tone with the Mesa and the ENGL and both are really good but I prefer the ENGL tone by a large margin. So that was a good decision.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I think I was confusing the ENGL artist with the retro.

Anyone every try one of those? I see them for pretty nice prices from time to time
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Yeah the PB2 is awesome!
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.