Engls...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
macaronisalad

Re: Engls...

Post by macaronisalad »

I've been interested in the Blackmore, Artist and Retro Tubes. But I don't like the idea that you need a special footswitch or midi switcher to get full function. Not much of a gripe, but its the one I've got.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

I've yet to own an ENGL, but I've definitely been interested. I have heard a couple of times about reliability issues, and that they are complicated and hard to work on. I have no idea if that is true.

If a Savage comes along at a decent enough price, who knows.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Yeah I’ve heard that, but haven’t experienced it with the 3 I’ve owned.

I’m also keeping an eye out for a savage. But I’m still kinda undecided. I like the idea of the fireball because it’s simple but I don’t remember how I felt about that amp when I had it. The 25 is certainly a great little amp! We call it the angry baby.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'm a huge fan of the E530 preamp. I want to build another rig around it.

I also love the Retro, Screamer/Thunder, Artist/Blackmore etc

Honestly I don't think there's an ENGL I don't like.

I heard about reliability issues back in the HCAF days, so that was at least 10 years ago. I haven't had any issues with the ones I've owned.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I feel like the reliability stuff was a bit over exaggerated on HCAF, possibly related to the fact that authorized service centers US were kid of lacking at the time
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

What about the Invader? There's one for sale near me at a very reasonable price. I have absolutely no idea what differentiates the different models.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

tbh I think most ENGLs are more similar than they are different :lol:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

DFGrueban

Post by DFGrueban »

Depends on what you want to spend. Savage is pretty good but the Founders Edition amp is the best I've heard from Engl. The worst is the first fireball.

Mike Oxhuge

Post by Mike Oxhuge »

All I can tell you is I had a Blackmore for 3 years. I loved it. Sold and regretted. Bought an Artist. It is a more Marshally Blackmore. I sold my 72 Plexi/PS-100 because the Artist is so fucking close to that tone even at low volume. It's like the somehow included power amp distortion in the tone. Never had one issue in a combined 4 years of ownership. Then theres the high lead. Very brutal with a blend of Jose Marshall. My favorite amp I've ever owned along with the Cameron Mig and Mark IIB loop moded Coliseum. After these my next favorites are 6505 and DSL 100H.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Damn nice! Yeah the savage, Blackmore, PB2, and FB100 are all ones that seem really great!

I don’t know too much about the invader but I played Toms and remember it sounding awesome.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.