Engls...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
ninjaraf

Engls...

Post by ninjaraf »

I am incredibly fucking bored today, and have been looking at Engls the entire day. So...which one do you like? I have liked all of the ones I've played, but I've only played a PB2, FB100, FB25, and Savage mk1 that I think was broken lol.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Maddnotez

Re: Engls...

Post by Maddnotez »

The only one I would get is a savage variant or the Blackmore but that's just me.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I've got ENGL Thunder thats rad AF. It's brutal, but not 5153 brutal. I'm obviously fuckin around with my mrak at the moment, but once the 5153 became my main gigging amp, I've kept it at my drummers house as the band practice rig. Played many gigs with it and it does great

Used to have the steve morse way back in the day. That thing was awesome

I'd get a blackmore or savage if I was you, but really I don't think you can go wrong with anything in the lineup (el84 toys aside :P )
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

It does seem like they're all really great and sound mostly similar. Which theoretically should make choosing easier, but it doesn't haha.

Snave

Post by Snave »

I briefly had the original Powerball which was ok. It's a very compressed sound as I'm sure you know. I sold it because my Mark III could cop similar tones and was more versatile.

ENGL just strikes me as a less reliable European Peavey, except with dinky transformers (barring maybe the Powerball II).

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Interesting. I've heard people say that before, but I haven't had any issues with any Peaveys or Engls I've owned, so I don't see that as a bad thing lol. I don't really see the dinky transformer thing, thought. The PB2 and FB100 have big ass iron in them. Haven't seen reliability issues personally, aside from that Savage that was red plating, but I am pretty sure that was a tube issue because we put the old tubes back in and it behaved normally. My other guitar player has had is PB2 for at least 10 years, and hasn't had a single problem. He uses that thing at high volume on stage 1-2 times a month, and 3-4 times a week for practice for about 3 hrs each time.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

ENGLs sound way better than any peavey IMO. I've not really had any issues with either brand really. My morse had a cold solder in the fx loop, but that was covered under warranty at an authorized repair center a block away from where I lived

My Thunder has been going tough for a long time, it belonged to another old forum bro for quite some time before me... no issues
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

All the ENGLs I have had looked a lot better on their PCBs than the Peaveys I have owned. My personal owner record would indicate Peaveys are less reliable than ENGLs, but obviously that is just my owned amps.

I would love to try the newer Artist model. Every demo I have heard captivates me.

Cole

trey85stang2

Post by trey85stang2 »

I’ve always wanted a powerball I had read that iommi used it in the devil you know and that guitar tone is amazing.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

The PB2 is a great sounding amp. The 2 lead channels are voiced a bit differently, and ch3 does something that I think is really special. The latest song I released for my band is mainly Mark VII, but does have some PB2, and a lower center track of the FB25.