The post-closing gearfast has commenced: NAD

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
RaceU4her

Re: The post-closing gearfast has commenced: NAD

Post by RaceU4her »

wasnt this amp supposed to be marshalls answer to "modded" marshalls when it came out?? being a little smoother and thicker with some squish is pretty much how the few jose mods i have compared to my DSL.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I would think it definitely is a good option for “modded” Marshall vibes for sure, so that makes sense. And yes, like Billy said the volume knob is much more smooth from 0-10, I would run my SLX at 4 on the master, and then have the second master higher for solos. And that was a 100 watt.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah that makes sense. It definitely has a modded Marshall tone. It would be interesting to compare it side by side to a Jose mod.

At any rate, it sounds great. I'm kind of mad at myself for not trying this amp before lol
I want to buy a 100w version now just to compare them, since I tend to like 100w Marshalls better overall but I'm really happy with the 50w for now. I'd be awesome to have both.

I also want to do a comparison between this and the regular 900 MKIII eventually. I remember not liking the MKIII much when I had one, the SLX seems much better. But some online reviews say they sound similar so it'd be cool to hear one again with fresh ears.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Guitarbilly wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:42 pm I had my first practice with this amp today. It's possibly a new favorite for me, as far as "modern" Marshalls go. It's close to the DSL but a bit thicker and smoother. It has more a that squishy feel of the older Marshalls. My next gig is in 2 weeks and I'll be using it for sure. Being a 50w it's also a little easier to carry and to get the power amp to saturate. It's not as loud as other 50w Marshalls I've had. Certainly not as loud as the 2204 or the 1987x but even DSL50s seem a bit louder than this amp. But it's definitely loud enough for anything. Main difference is I can go to 4 on the volume instead of 1-2 on the 2204.

I also had the chance to dial in the Precision Drive better and I think it's a keeper now. Sounded great with this amp in particular.
Dethroning the DSL?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that you've said that I'm not convinced it will survive til the gig in two weeks :cop:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Guitarbilly wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:42 pm I had my first practice with this amp today. It's possibly a new favorite for me, as far as "modern" Marshalls go. It's close to the DSL but a bit thicker and smoother. It has more a that squishy feel of the older Marshalls. My next gig is in 2 weeks and I'll be using it for sure. Being a 50w it's also a little easier to carry and to get the power amp to saturate. It's not as loud as other 50w Marshalls I've had. Certainly not as loud as the 2204 or the 1987x but even DSL50s seem a bit louder than this amp. But it's definitely loud enough for anything. Main difference is I can go to 4 on the volume instead of 1-2 on the 2204.

I also had the chance to dial in the Precision Drive better and I think it's a keeper now. Sounded great with this amp in particular.
Dethroning the DSL?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that you've said that I'm not convinced it will survive til the gig in two weeks :cop:

I think it could. :lol: To be fair it's not that different from the DSL to begin with. It's thicker but I can dial both amps to sound nearly identical. But the feel is definitely better on the SLX.

andvari7

Post by andvari7 »

Would you sell every other amp in your collection to get one of Ace’s SL-Xeseseses? There are two on Reverb.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

andvari7 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:26 am Would you sell every other amp in your collection to get one of Ace’s SL-Xeseseses? There are two on Reverb.
Yeah they're extremely overpriced. But it's cool that Ace used these amps in the reunion tour. :cool: