Does this 78 LPC look legit?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
devin

Re: Does this 78 LPC look legit?

Post by devin »

Sensual guitar

trey85stang2

Post by trey85stang2 »

3100 is a steal imo. Looks legit nothing looks out of place, chainsaw case. You could have the seller be a bit more thourough and remove the pickups, and rear cover to get you slightly better picutres. There isnt really a good way to tell the year on most norlin's except by the pots, but the volute tells you for sure pre 82.

diddlybo

Post by diddlybo »

Don't be surprised if it needs a fret job. Every late 70's Gibson I've owned has had low frets ranging from being a nuisance to being nearly unplayable. A tech friend of mine tells me that was a common problem in the late 70's.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

My 85 has those low rail tack frets. I want to have it redone with the current medium jumbos Gibson uses now. My SG has that fretwire and I love the way it plays. Same with my Heritage H-157. Similar fret wire size. I’m just too cheap to pay for a refret.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah it's the whole "fretless wonder" thing Gibson did with LPCs until the late 80s. Definitely worth refretting them with jumbos or mediums.

billelzebub

Post by billelzebub »

Definitely get it! and i'm so glad i got my '79 Custom pre-corona, and even at the prices they were going for back then the deal i got was insane and included a stainless steel refret before i picked it up. I gig with that thing all the time, i love the heavy weight.