Does this 78 LPC look legit?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
eyeball987

Does this 78 LPC look legit?

Post by eyeball987 »

This just popped up on my local FB Marketplace at what seems to be a decent price. The finish has been worn off of the back of the neck and other than being dusty, it appears to be in good shape. Seller said that the chrome hardware was changed out for gold and that the pots and T-top pickups are original.

From what you can see here, does it look legit? Thanks.
Attachments
78 LPC headstock.jpg
78 LPC headstock.jpg (95.6 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
78 LPC body.jpg
78 LPC body.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

diddlybo

Re: Does this 78 LPC look legit?

Post by diddlybo »

eyeball987 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:43 pm This just popped up on my local FB Marketplace at what seems to be a decent price. The finish has been worn off of the back of the neck and other than being dusty, it appears to be in good shape. Seller said that the chrome hardware was changed out for gold and that the pots and T-top pickups are original.

From what you can see here, does it look legit? Thanks.
LP Customs come stock with gold hardware. Most Customs would not have had chrome hardware.

The binding has yellowed dramatically in some places and hardly at all in others. That looks a little odd but I don't think is a sign of being fake. .

I'm guessing............................................Legit. That's my final answer.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Good call on the binding. From looking at the headstock, my first guess is that the lacquer has just chipped away from the nut to the low E and A strings. I can see checking under the grime up there too.

A LPC is on my bucket list of guitars. Even though this one is a bit beat up, $3,100 seem like an OK price?

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

No red flags there.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Some more pics. I would almost certainly have it re-fretted if it feels right. Not sure that I could find one in great condition for that price these days.
Attachments
78 LPC case.jpg
78 LPC case.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
78 LPC back.jpg
78 LPC back.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Definitely legit. Even the case is correct for the era.

Telephant

Post by Telephant »

70’s and 80’s LPC’s have become so wildly inflated it’s fucking ridiculous. An Rgasm is a vastly superior guitar to a 70’s LP and can usually find them cheaper than the LPC’s on Reverb. But that’s just like, my opinion man.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Telephant wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:55 pm 70’s and 80’s LPC’s have become so wildly inflated it’s fucking ridiculous. An Rgasm is a vastly superior guitar to a 70’s LP and can usually find them cheaper than the LPC’s on Reverb. But that’s just like, my opinion man.
I agree. I actually sold my 70s LPs. I liked them alright but the price they're going for now is pretty crazy. Mine were Standards and they went for over $4k each. There is no way they should cost that much. Even the current regular production guitars are just as good or better.

I get 50s and 60s Gibsons being so expensive, but 70??. idk. They're cool but come on....

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

eyeball987 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:27 pm A LPC is on my bucket list of guitars. Even though this one is a bit beat up, $3,100 seem like an OK price?
$3100 is fair for this guitar, given that I sold both my Stds for over $4k each.

If you're planning to use it live, keep in mind it will almost certainly weight 11lbs or more.. But these Norlins are cool instruments with a great tone for hard rock and metal.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

The pricing has gotten out of control. That is for sure. I might check this one out if the seller is open to dropping the price a bit. Will see if it sits for a couple of days.

An Rgasm would be sweet! Looking around to see if anyone is selling at a post Corona price.