Just bought a Chubtone

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
eyeball987

Just bought a Chubtone

Post by eyeball987 »

Money has been sent but no ETA yet. Probably jinxing myself for the pre-NGD post but I feel risky today.

I obviously have not played it yet, but the only gripe I can see from the spec sheet is that I would have preferred a little bit more heft to the neck. This one is their standard thin (.800-.850) but it does have jumbo SS frets! If I like it in person enough I might just spec a new one from Chubtone. Or ask if I can buy the modern C neck with SS jumbos.
Attachments
CTone web.jpg
CTone web.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

greatmutah

Re: Just bought a Chubtone

Post by greatmutah »

I’ve heard great things about Chubtone guitars! Especially as a Charvel type alternative. Really excited to hear your thoughts!
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

These guitars are killer! Steve Henning brought his to an Ampfest in LA and I was really impressed with it. I've been wanting one ever since. They make dead-on replicas of pre-production San Dimas Charvels.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

Sweet! I have been very tempted to order a Chubtone the last few years. Other things kept getting in the way, and now with a NGD from this weekend it probably put a nail in that coffin completely, but I would still love to play one.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Looks pretty cool. Curious to see if you feel the bridge pickup tone is a little fat/loose sounding. I have no idea what the model is, or it’s qualities but just wondering anyway. Lol.

And the figure depth makes it look like more than a veneer and it appears to have a forearm bevel??! I’ve done that before with a 1/4 inch top. Took a while to steam it enoigh to bend, but I got it there. I’d prolly be better off with slightly thinner top.. 3/16ths to be exact. Still get that depth of the figureing popping Thru.. I know modern manufacturing use a press and obviously that’ll do the trick! Not sure how/where these are built

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Endtime wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 6:24 pm Not sure how/where these are built
They are built in SoCal. Basically pre Fender Charvel specs from what I understand. The pickups are Tone Nerd's. The listing says they are Roxy's but the spec sheet says Whiskey's. Doesn't really matter to me either way. If they work out then they will stay. If not, will swap them out.

Edit: Just checked another Pic from the ad. The top looks fairly thick. Should be here Friday. I will post some pics sometime after.
Last edited by eyeball987 on Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

thats gorgeous

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

They make some killer Stars too
Attachments
s321550849126200906_p120_i1_w640.jpeg
s321550849126200906_p120_i1_w640.jpeg (153.13 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Out for delivery. Of course this is the one day in 4 years that I had to go into the office because a tornado tore up my town on Tuesday. I have been pretty much living in a black hole since late Tuesday. No internet or cell service. It has been kind of nice actually!

Edit: Arrived. Needs a good scrub and new strings, which is something I do with every guitar I bring in anyway. The quilt top appears to be about 1/4" thick. Initial thoughts are that the neck feels good and the SS frets are sweet! Great pack job, G&G case looks brand new, and I am very much looking forward to plugging it in after I get it cleaned up.