I'm all aboard the Fishman train

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
madrigal77

I'm all aboard the Fishman train

Post by madrigal77 »

Specifically the Classics. I got this LTD about a year ago that came with Open Core Classics. Long story short I hated them at first, but found out they were wired wrong from the factory. Got them wired properly and they are glorious! Voice 1 is like a hotter, clearer PAF. Voice 2 is like a clearer JB with a tighter low end. Voice 3 is a good single coil. I've been an EMG guy for like 25 years, but these made me rip the 57/66 set from my Eclipse and put a set of Classics in. My MX-250 will keep the EMG Het Set just because.

Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black
LTD EC-1000T CTM Violet Shadow
Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

andvari7

Re: I'm all aboard the Fishman train

Post by andvari7 »

Long time Fluence guy here. Here’s what I don’t like about them:

1. The leads are a little thin, for my liking, and the plastic jacket should be Teflon.
2. I wish the coil taps were part of the plug.
3. I would like the rechargeable battery to be able to be wired in parallel (multiple packs, for longer run time) and have a USB-C plug.

Other than that, I’m a believer, and will continue to buy and use them.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Man I am on the opposite side of this, I just can't gel with the Fishman pickups. I think they have a lot of great option not to mention they look cool :lol: But there's something about their midrange that I just don't get along with.
I kind of feel the same about the active Duncan's. I grew up with EMGs and they're the benchmark for active tone for me.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I don't have too much opinion on these. I liked them a lot with my Mark IVs, but when I got the EVH, they were not good at all, and I had to go through swapping them out of 5-6 guitars haha. NEVER AGAIN!! But I also am not a huge active fan in general. My cousin loved EMGs growing up, but I never really liked them. Don't really like Duncan actives either.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:28 am Man I am on the opposite side of this, I just can't gel with the Fishman pickups. I think they have a lot of great option not to mention they look cool :lol: But there's something about their midrange that I just don't get along with.
I kind of feel the same about the active Duncan's. I grew up with EMGs and they're the benchmark for active tone for me.
They do have a bit of a bump in the high mids, if that’s what you mean. But I dig that. There’s a HF tilt you ca enable to darken them up a bit if you don’t like it.

I’ve only tried the classics, but I’ve heard the moderns have a “cocked wah” thing going on. That’s why despite playing mostly metal, I got another set of classics rather than moderns for my Eclipse.
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

andvari7 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:32 am Long time Fluence guy here. Here’s what I don’t like about them:

1. The leads are a little thin, for my liking, and the plastic jacket should be Teflon.
2. I wish the coil taps were part of the plug.
3. I would like the rechargeable battery to be able to be wired in parallel (multiple packs, for longer run time) and have a USB-C plug.

Other than that, I’m a believer, and will continue to buy and use them.
Yeah I like the idea of the battery pack, but it’s a big skip for me until they make a usb c version. Who’s using micro usb in 2024?!?
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

Plastic trash with too many wires! :thd:

But yeah in all seriousness, the wires are thin and feel really flimsy. I'm not sure I trust the plastic lugs on the sides of the pickups either, but I guess EMGs are the same.

Really, I have no interest in "3 voicings", and other bullshit like that. Just give me a simple, solid humbucker that sounds great.

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

Zeegler wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:34 pm Plastic trash with too many wires! :thd:

But yeah in all seriousness, the wires are thin and feel really flimsy. I'm not sure I trust the plastic lugs on the sides of the pickups either, but I guess EMGs are the same.

Really, I have no interest in "3 voicings", and other bullshit like that. Just give me a simple, solid humbucker that sounds great.
The wiring EMG comes with these days is just as thin, if not more. As long as they work I don’t care.
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

madrigal77 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:11 am
Zeegler wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:34 pm Plastic trash with too many wires! :thd:

The wiring EMG comes with these days is just as thin, if not more. As long as they work I don’t care.
I really don't know. I haven't used EMGs in 20 years. I like old man pickups. I don't need no stinkin battery. :D

Caulk Rocket

Post by Caulk Rocket »

Batteries are for dildos.