Ordered the Friedman IR-J

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Ordered the Friedman IR-J

Post by Guitarbilly »

It should be here on Thursday. I'm planning to compare it against the IR-D and keep one of them. Honestly, the IR-D is really hard to beat for me, because I love the way it sounds.
The main thing that made me consider this one is the new TS style boost circuit. If that sounds as good as a TS style pedal, it will simplify my board, since I need a boost pedal with the IR-D, I use the internal boost for volume only, since it's a Micro Amp style boost and it doesn't sound the way I like.

macaronisalad

Re: Ordered the Friedman IR-J

Post by macaronisalad »

Nice! I am thinking hard about it too. My only sort of hold up is that it’s more money than my “real” amp hahaha
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

macaronisalad wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:50 am Nice! I am thinking hard about it too. My only sort of hold up is that it’s more money than my “real” amp hahaha
Well that's easy

First you buy the IR-J
Then you buy a new amp that's more expensive than the IR-J

Problem solved.

Caulk Rocket

Post by Caulk Rocket »

It says the TS has a volume and tone control only. Sounds like it might be closer to a Fortin Blade.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah he preset the gain to 0 since that's how most people boost with a TS. It would be good to have a gain knob for the boost, but I can live with the volume and tone only.

2tallmusic

Post by 2tallmusic »

Interesting - I am really curious how your verdict will be.

Currently I am trying to build a simplified and more reliable board and with all the resent gear news I am currently considering to pair the new fractal VP4 with perhaps something like the Friedmann IR preamps.

The first YT reviews of the IR-J delivered on the dirt side as expected but I was not really thrilled by the clean channel.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the IR-X and the IR-D are pretty much the same way. There's no real clean tones. Always a bit of grit on all gain settings. I've been using single channel Marshalls for a long time so it's not an issue to me.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Nice!!! Looking forward to your review. This whole line up seems pretty awesome
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV | Badlander 50

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

dstroud

Post by dstroud »

right on man, the clips sound killer that I’ve heard. Looking forward to your thoughts!

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

It's really great that they're are doing these. It's a good fit for how things are moving these days. Decent enough price too.