Celestion EVH vs Vintage 30

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Celestion EVH vs Vintage 30

Post by Endtime »

eh boring.. But Im borrowing an old Randall XL cab from 2001 he said.. Its a good sounding cab for sure.. I recently bought a few more Celestio EVH speakers ad put them in my old PV 5150 cab.. And while it was good.. I just had a theory something in that cab was off.. So I decided to put them I my D'Oronzo custom made cab.. And holy Jebus. Ive never heard a cab in the room sound so monstrous.. Cause don't be fooled by the marketing, or the 20 watt label.. The EVH speakers have some of the biggest low end you can get.. They are slightly scooped.. but that works for the el34 100 5153.. And this cab just blows away every other cab I have in sheer massive tone. Th eRandall is one of the better V30 cabs I've played thru, and even without the casters cause he doesn't like them, the evh loaded cab with casters just dwarfs it.. Gotta hear it to believe it!! haha And it records really well too.. Not at all boomy or bloated..

Anyway, without giving away which is what I just labeled em 1 or 2. So if you check it, pick the one you like best.. I made a quick riff with the full mix.. And also just made a quick Guitar only comparison clip

Should note I DID do some EQ and such.. Removed some cab whistle and resonance.. And did hi and low pass.. But I didn't boost anything.. And most of these cuts were pretty minor.. Since mic position makes a big difference I wast gonna just leave that up to chance.. SO I made each clip sound ITSbest or at least better the straight raw

SPKR 1 https://app.box.com/s/9vm6qgq7knfwy0r7twl1mpcqzp5dm9oq

SPKR 2 https://app.box.com/s/146ymwqe2l7yhfkweyq9a5ypd5i2fzs4

Git Buss Spkr 1 then 2 https://app.box.com/s/upz5kp53ylgll0u2q3ak7j4kg3bn9zrg

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Celestion EVH vs Vintage 30

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'd be shocked if speaker 1 is not the V30 because it sure sounds like it :lol:

The Randall XL cabs are great. One of the favorite cabs I've owned.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

The first one sounds way more “lively” if that makes sense, second one just sounds kinda flat after the first

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I also think speaker 1 is the V30. Both sound great.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Whenever I would record speaker comparisons, pretty much always preferred the V30's recorded but for the in-room tone the EVH or Greenback cabs won out. Same vote for me here. V30's in clip #1.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Speaker 1 is the Evh. 2 is the V30. Maybe we all hear the v30 differently but that second clip is standard Honky mids with less lows and presence standard v30 to me. I just don’t get along with em for long
RaceU4her wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:14 am The first one sounds way more “lively” if that makes sense, second one just sounds kinda flat after the first
for sure. I could prolly work that v30 into shape if I really wanted too, but the Evh is way more “alive”.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:38 pm I'd be shocked if speaker 1 is not the V30 because it sure sounds like it :lol:

The Randall XL cabs are great. One of the favorite cabs I've owned.
It is a really good cab. It reminds me a ton of a mesa tbh. It had that very familiar “Mesa” v30 sound to me. In the room it’s very solid and focused. I could use it. But I’m seriously blown away at my Evh speakers loaded in my cab. I borrowed this cause this Evh loaded cab compared to my PVs it’s WAY bigger sounding. And I’m like, is this cab truly insane or do my PVs just suck? Haha. I always thought the PV 5150 cab I have sounded good. Even with the stock speakers. But after some speaker swaps recently, I can confirm it simply colors the tone. Not surprising . But there is a sorta grittiness in the mids that seems to come Thru no matter what speaker I’ve put in there. I did kinda find that interesting. Cause it’s very specific sound and right now I put the g12-65 in there and I am really happy with that tone too but when mic’d there’s that weird mid grit. Which is why I swapped out my Celestion Evh speakers from it cause I had this hunch that it was the cab coloring the tone in a way I wasn’t quite digging.

But yeah the Randall. Really good cab. I’m not into v30s but I could see loading a Greenback type in there. I may try to get this off of him, since he has 8! Haha. And maybe even let him keep the speakers and see if I can get it unloaded

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Wow...surprising, and also not surprising at the same time!! Makes me wonder if I should get some of these for my Doronzo cab. GC had a stealth 412 recently for $850, but I wasn't super into the cab vs my Mesa OS, so I passed on it.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

ninjaraf wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:48 pm Wow...surprising, and also not surprising at the same time!! Makes me wonder if I should get some of these for my Doronzo cab. GC had a stealth 412 recently for $850, but I wasn't super into the cab vs my Mesa OS, so I passed on it.
You compared them directly or in the GC? I’ve always heard the Evh cab has this BIG deep sound. While I don’t have the cab. , those speakers are definitely deeper in the lows than every other speaker I have. Kinda by a lot tbh. While I’ve never played the cab and D’Oronzo is kinda it’s own thing. In reality his whole goal was to make the speaker as true to as possible. That’s why it’s got so much bracing etc. he used to compare it to saying a concrete box is technically the most TRUE cab. Cause it won’t resonate. I guess there exists a 2x12 made out of granite which is essentially the same idea. I know that Bogren made an IR of it. Supposed to be huge too.

But I originally loaded this cab with all 8 ohm Evh Celestion. And as we know that simply changes the tone. 8 ohm always has more mids. While 16 has more bass and treble or simply more scooped. I WANT that bit of scoop cause the Evh has plenty and now I really couldn’t be happier. This is the tone I’ve imagined since the day o got the head. Never give up!! Haha

My other cab now with the Creamback 65 and old sheffield 5150 speakers is a close 2nd. It’s 90% the same as the Randall cab

But yeah, idk, the Evh cabs are known for big tones. If you truly a/b’d them I’m surprised you wouldn’t at least hear that too.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Just at the GC, so yeah, those limitations are in place. Would've been nice to bring it home, but at $850, I felt I should've been blown away by it at the store to take it home, and I wasn't. Especially since they had the 100S on top of it for me to play it with.

It definitely sounded big, and ballsy, and slightly scooped, but there was something there that I wasn't super into. Not sure exactly what it was, since I wasn't able to compare them directly. In any case, I probably should've grabbed it haha.

I still have the V30/Redback combo in the Mesa and Doronzo cabs. Personally, I feel this combination gives me what I am looking for, so I haven't really experimented too much. And honestly, I haven't even plugged in the Doronzo cab in a while. I'm not doing a lot of recording right now, so mostly the Stealth is just plugged into the Mesa cab, and I turn it on and jam on it. My 50 watt is getting all of my band practice time, and our drummer quit, so we aren't booking any shows for a while, so just kinda sitting for the most part.