Finished an OLD build.

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Finished an OLD build.

Post by Endtime »

Have to start a little backstory. Before I ever HAD a Wolfgang, I started to build one. 7-8 years ago easy. Did the whole carve top with some figured maple but it’s not matched cause it’s a half inch top and we’ll I didn’t have an 1 inch top to bookmatch! I got around to cutting the shape and carving the top and then I found a deal on an old PV body and I just used that and built a neck for that and I’ve since put together 6-7 Wolfgang’s. Sold off a few Gonna sell a few more but I’ve basically tried em all. I really think I’ve found what I LIKE about em. The simplest way to put my appeal to the Wolfgang despite also naming my son Wolfgang and one of the best guitar shops when I was a kid, Roselle Music, was a PV dealer and they always had 5150s, where I bought my combo and Wolfgang’s on hand. Wasn’t my thing as a kid but I did realize they played great. So what I was gonna say was this is my “Les Paul” so to speak. I need Floyd’s. And just like I love how an LP sounds too, I like how they sound. And they play great for me…

So anyway, I saw this body hanging around recently and said, NOW I know what I’m gonna do with this. Build the Ultimate playing Wolfgang! Which entailed a few main tweaks. One, I wanted Full Floating trem. I’ve also become a big Fan of the HP Special. As far as playability a regular HP special carve top out performs a Wolfgang to me. Doesn’t look as cool, but they are close.. Also I don’t NEED a belly cut. I like flat backs at times but no doubt with this shape a moderate cut feels a bit better. And while I love the Wolfgang necks, they are 1 5/8ths nut. I still like playing em but I really do have big hands and I worked real hard at retaining the feel while widening it to 1 11/16s. And that little bit makes a big difference… And lastly obviously just a single humbucker and I used a modified HP special headstock just to add a little sumthin different. And believe it or not, one of my favorite finishes is the Tobacco burst! So what better to give it a go?? Even tho this top has a bit of an “imperfection”, but my guitars are always the 2nds. I use the primo stuff for other builds and also it just didn’t bother me. Ebony board, Birdseye neck. You can get the gist.

Lately my builds have seemingly taken on a new level. Not so much in quality. I believe I always made em well but I think the last few years working and repairing guitars just puts the constant working on guitars aspect, that lends itself to all things. Including builds cause they just seem to be going easier and turning out as envisioned a little easier.
Attachments
EB119ACD-726C-4838-9C67-DEAC2BA3415D.jpeg
EB119ACD-726C-4838-9C67-DEAC2BA3415D.jpeg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 921 times
749A0869-933B-4F06-92E7-D3D0C55C1511.jpeg
749A0869-933B-4F06-92E7-D3D0C55C1511.jpeg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 921 times
84265861-22BD-495E-8B8C-9BE9A225ED9E.jpeg
84265861-22BD-495E-8B8C-9BE9A225ED9E.jpeg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Endtime

Re: Finished an OLD build.

Post by Endtime »

I compressed my photos but most aren’t loading… I’ll try it here. If it don’t work? Well that’s all I’m doin! Lol
Attachments
A713E102-7F3D-4298-B6DB-CD002E39D6D2.jpeg
A713E102-7F3D-4298-B6DB-CD002E39D6D2.jpeg (88.11 KiB) Viewed 920 times

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Well maybe the physical dimension is the problem?? Anyway, how many pics are necessary… Also the end result is truly how I wanted it to be. It plays exactly how I hoped. I absolutely agree on it. And the full trem makes it perfect for the kind of lead playing I’ve gone back to! Lol

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Damn dude, your guitars always look great but this one is next level. It's probably the tobacco burst! NIcely done
Ukraine? Mykraine

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

Skills. You have them. Looks great!

The only real issue that I have with Wolfgang's is the nut width. If they made one with the 1 11/16 width, I would probably own one.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

That's sweet! Wolfgangs are my favourite gigging guitars. They do everything I need, and nothing that I don't. Especially with the Peavey "Special" layout with one knob and a 3-way.

That one particularly looks awesome, because it reminds me of an LP Jr, but like you I prefer the Wolfgang stuff. So like an idealized LP Jr.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: What a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

That’s awesome! I do want a Wolfgang someday. I did love the HP Special I used to have. Sweet guitar if there ever was. My only complaint was the nut width especially compared to my Charvels.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:09 pm Damn dude, your guitars always look great but this one is next level. It's probably the tobacco burst! NIcely done
thanks man colors turned out as I was hoping. The Burst is good. I mean if I’m Uber critical I would like it a cunt hair different. Width etc. but ya kinda just get one shot at it. Somewhere in Indonesia there’s a little female or 14 yo dude who sprays 20 bursts a day for very little pay and his would be perfect! Haha
eyeball987 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:29 pm Skills. You have them. Looks great!

The only real issue that I have with Wolfgang's is the nut width. If they made one with the 1 11/16 width, I would probably own one.
thanks again. I might list it here before I begin but I have an Wolfgang Special Deluxe here unfinished. It’s from the old PV sell off. Basically these are the Music Man Axis specs. Flat top but with a 1/4 flame top. It’s unfinished and I was gonna finish it with a neck I build and that would be sumthin I can accommodate for someone is the slightly wider nut.
macaronisalad wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:38 pm That's sweet! Wolfgangs are my favourite gigging guitars. They do everything I need, and nothing that I don't. Especially with the Peavey "Special" layout with one knob and a 3-way.

That one particularly looks awesome, because it reminds me of an LP Jr, but like you I prefer the Wolfgang stuff. So like an idealized LP Jr.
Not sure I’m familiar with Juniors enough to see what you are saying. Aren’t they usually flat tops and even a smaller body?? This is basically the same size. Since I went off literally my measurements I took in stores all them years ago it isn’t exact. But when I lay a “real” WG on top of it I got it remarkably close. And doing some math I actually started this back when Harmony Central was still a place!! So I started it even longer ago!
I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:52 pm :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: What a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
greatmutah wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:59 pm That’s awesome! I do want a Wolfgang someday. I did love the HP Special I used to have. Sweet guitar if there ever was. My only complaint was the nut width especially compared to my Charvels.
That’s actually sumthin I’m toying with doing is building wider bit Wolfgang replacement necks. To keep the feel similar one can’t just upsize everything by a 1/16th. It feels much different. I have to alter the profile a touch, but I really can go between the actual WG and this one and it feels very seamless. The PV has a much different profile. WAY fatter. Now that one I get along with better with the 1 5/8ths. The HP Special has a very similar neck. I love that neck. The current EVH stuff is much thinner and with the narrow nut width it feels way too small in my hands. I shouldn’t say WAY too small, but it feels small… Smaller than I prefer!! That’s what she said!

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

For the LP Jr thing i mean more the classic tobacco burst, 2 knobs. The visual of a lot of Jrs. And that you kind of consider the Wolf your "LP". You are absolutely right about the flattop, etc.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.