Ok, run me through this again? Captor attenuation setup

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
bleedingwhiskey

Ok, run me through this again? Captor attenuation setup

Post by bleedingwhiskey »

Alright. I have an amp running into my Torpedo Captor 8Ohm. To run it to a 16 ohm cab, what does the amp need to be set to? Seems simple enough, but I couldn't get a cut and clear answer.

ElDirtySanchez

Re: Ok, run me through this again? Captor attenuation setup

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

I've been told set the amp to 8, it's okay running the 8ohm into a 16ohm cab it just won't attenuate as much. I have done it a few times like that with no issues.
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

From the Two Notes manual:

If you connect a speaker cabinet to the THRU output, the internal loadbox is disconnected: your amp is directly connected to the speaker cabinet. As a result, the impedance of the speaker cabinet plugged into the THRU output should match the impedance of the amp. In this situation, the impedance of the Captor doesn't matter anymore: for example, you can use the 16 ohms output of your amp and a 16 ohms speaker cabinet in the THRU output, even if the Captor is a 4 or 8 ohms version.

The THRU output is useful to insert the Captor between your amp and speaker cabinet, as a mean to simply pick up the sound of the amp. You can keep a speaker cabinet on stage for direct monitoring, and still get a properly picked-up sound with speaker simulation in the PA.

Use a standard speaker cable between the THRU output and the speaker cabinet.

3.3 Power attenuation

captor_att.jpg The ATT output provides a -20dB attenuation. Just plug a speaker cabinet in the ATT output (use a standard speaker cable for this connection), and crank up your amp while keeping a manageable volume.

The speaker cabinet plugged in the ATT output can have a different impedance than the amp. However, this will lead to changing the attenuation ratio, which may vary from the designed -20dB. Using a speaker cabinet with a higher impedance (for example a 16 ohms cabinet on a 8 ohms Captor) will lead to less attenuation (approximately -15dB). Using a speaker cabinet with a lower impedance (for example a 4 ohms cabinet on a 8 ohms Captor) will lead to more attenuation (approximately -25dB).
Ukraine? Mykraine

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Always set the amp to match the Captor. The cab after won't matter as far the amp goes. But it does change the attenuation rate as explained above.