Who do we like for tubes?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
greatmutah

Who do we like for tubes?

Post by greatmutah »

Not necessarily stores but who’s using what for tubes these days? I ask because I did a bias check and adjustment on my 5150 (it was super cold and I wanted to tweak it to factory spec) and the tubes inside were Groove Tubes 6L6GEs. Apparently GT tried to make a reissue of the General Electric 6L6 but couldn’t get production rolling stateside for one reason or another so they started making them in China. With the Shuguang factory burning down, possibly reopening, PSVane becoming a thing, Russian tubes becoming more expensive due to current events and JJs still being available and fairly inexpensive, I thought now might be a good time to assess who’s using what tubes and what they like.

I have personally have a good backup stash of EL34s for most of my amps. And for 6L6s, until recently all I had was my Fender and I am hoping the N.O.S. Sylvanias in there live forever. And if they don’t, I actually would pay N.O.S. prices for old Sylvania 6L6s for that amp. But for a current production amp, I don’t see a lot of value in N.O.S. tubes.

So what’s folks using for 6L6s and EL34s? I’m using and like:

Tung Sol EL34B - these are in my Metro. Probably my favorite EL34 with that amp. Mullard EL34 RI - in my Egnater seminar amp and previously in my Metro. Second favorite EL34

For 6L6s I’m using the GTs I got. As a backup set I have some old Mesa branded STR430s. Also known as the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ and/or 6L6EH. I’ve used JJs in the past and liked them. I’ve also used the Mesa STR440/Ruby 6L6GCMSTR from Shuguang and really liked those. Ruby is advertising those are back in production as of this year. Not sure how accurate or not but they’re fairly affordable compared to some others.

What are you guys using and like for your amps?
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Who do we like for tubes?

Post by Guitarbilly »

I've been using JJ power tubes for pretty much all my amps. I don't know if they're necessarily the best sounding but they've been the most consistent and trouble free for the past 5-10 years. They're slightly warmer than say Tung-Sols but nothing that can't be compensated with the amps EQ. All my current amps are EL34s but I've used their 6L6s too, without issues.

For preamp tubes, Ruby's have been my go-to for Marshalls. I get their HG model for V1 and regulars for the other positions. I have a few NOS RCAs and Mullards here too that I need to try on my Super Lead when I get it back from Pete.

Oh and Sovtek LPS on the PI of all my amps, this is a really good PI tube. Very firm sounding and low noise. I noticed it tightens every amp I tried them in.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Yeah I’ve liked the LPS in PI spots. It’s great. I’ve used JJ 6L6s in the past with zero issue so I have no problem using them again. I might order a pair anyway. I really liked the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR that Mesa also used as their STR440. That was a great tube.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

I had to buy tubes recently, so I bought all JJs from Euro Tubes (6L6, ECC803S, ECC83S), but I'm open to trying other preamp tubes in the future. Not necessarily because I dislike the JJs, which I don't, but just to see what they'd offer. ie, trying a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in place of the ECC803S in my Fryette Power Station PS-2A.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I’m a fan of the Sovtek 6l6s. I also got some of those red base ones or something. But I haven’t tried them out yet. My evhs have their stock JJs, as far as I know. They’re all good enough that I don’t usually change them unless there’s a problem, might as well use them. But I tend to go with the Sovteks most of the time. Preamp tubes, I’ve liked lots of them in 5150s, but I think JJs have typically been my favorites. I had some TAD high grade ones in there at some point to help reduce noise. Sometimes I’ll use some mullards or tung sols. I dunno…I’m. It too picky about it I guess.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Yeah I don’t really worry about preamp tubes too much. I fell into that rabbit hole with my old Rectos. I do like a LPS occasionally in the PI spot for some amps. I did throw my old Mesa STR430s (Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes) in the 5153 vs the Groove Tubes and those seem good. I may order a pair of JJs anyway just to try and have. I always liked the JJs I had in 5150s in the past so those would be great set to have anyway.

I might grab a couple pres for some PI spots. Maybe a 5751 or two to try in some amps and just to have around. My Orange I haven’t touched anything on it. Not sure what EL34s are even in it. But it sounds good so I haven’t fucked with it. My Egnater has a Tung Sol in V1 but it’s all Rubys for the rest of the preamp. Power section is Mullards because Bruce gave us Ruby/JJ EL34s (not the E34Ls) and mine had some rattle. So I swapped for some Mullard RIs I had and they’ve been in since. My Metro has Tung Sol EL34Bs and Mullard CV4004s. That’s what George Metropoulos uses for his tubes so I buy those to keep the amp sounding like it always has.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

ninjaraf wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:06 am I’m a fan of the Sovtek 6l6s. I also got some of those red base ones or something. But I haven’t tried them out yet. My evhs have their stock JJs, as far as I know. They’re all good enough that I don’t usually change them unless there’s a problem, might as well use them. But I tend to go with the Sovteks most of the time. Preamp tubes, I’ve liked lots of them in 5150s, but I think JJs have typically been my favorites. I had some TAD high grade ones in there at some point to help reduce noise. Sometimes I’ll use some mullards or tung sols. I dunno…I’m. It too picky about it I guess.
I had Sovtek 6L6 tubes in my Fryette Power Station PS-2A and found them to be just okay. The JJ seems like a much more substantial tube in build and adds more to the sound.

In other applications, They are probably much more preferable.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

I pretty much stick to JJs for consistency.. the thought of tube rolling to see which 12AX7 works best in a particular position in my amps make me want to vomit lol
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I’m mostly with you. I did the tube rolling thing yeats ago. Don’t have any desire to do that in a major scale. Just want to try a couple recommendations for power and stick with that. Pre amp I pretty much know what I like. Same with EL34s.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

Tube rolling in the first position or for adjusting something on a particular channel makes sense. ie, to lower the compression on a high gain channel with a lower gain tube. Otherwise, if there is no pressing reason to do so, kind of a waste of time.