First gig with the SLO-30

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

First gig with the SLO-30

Post by Guitarbilly »

Played my first show with the Soldano today. It went pretty well. During soundcheck I was worried it wasn't going to cut it. It was sounding way too distorted and weird. I don't think I fully understood how much gain this amp has when opened up. I ended up lowering the gain to 2 (!!!), cutting some of the midrange and depth and it got really good. The lead tone especially, was amazing.

I did feel that I could have a bit more headroom, not for volume, the amp is definitely more than loud enough for anything. But delays etc sound a bit different through a smaller power section. It's not a big deal, just something I need to adjust on the delay pedal for this amp. I'll work on it during next practice.
Using the volume knob to clean up the tone also works a bit different due to less headroom but I adjusted to it quickly and it was not an issue at all.

Overall it was great. But also, I'm thinking about getting the 100w :lol: just because it's a type of amp I'm more familiar with. Playing a small amp is definitely different than playing a bigger amp, at any volume. Not better or worse but just different.

screamingdaisy

Re: First gig with the SLO-30

Post by screamingdaisy »

That's why I tend to stay away from the 30-ish watt amps. It's never been a volume thing as they're plenty loud, but they feel like a 30w amp, and you can't dial that out of them.

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

SLOff you go.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

RIP
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband