The Friedman Plex is officially out

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
screamingdaisy

Re: The Friedman Plex is officially out

Post by screamingdaisy »

FWIW, the delay used in the demo sounds like it's in front of the amp. IMO, you don't really need a loop with a Plexi style amp unless you want a really clean sounding repeat, but (again, IMO) the breakup on the repeats is era correct and part of the charm.

Plus, there's no channel switching, so no changes in gain staging to mess with your repeat levels.

Loops and PPIMV don't play well together as the MV is after the signal has been split. You'd need the loop before the phase inverter, and therefore need another MV to reduce the level going into the loop, which defeats the purpose of a PPIMV.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

screamingdaisy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:41 pm FWIW, the delay used in the demo sounds like it's in front of the amp. IMO, you don't really need a loop with a Plexi style amp unless you want a really clean sounding repeat, but (again, IMO) the breakup on the repeats is era correct and part of the charm.

Plus, there's no channel switching, so no changes in gain staging to mess with your repeat levels.

Loops and PPIMV don't play well together as the MV is after the signal has been split. You'd need the loop before the phase inverter, and therefore need another MV to reduce the level going into the loop, which defeats the purpose of a PPIMV.
They're running the amp through an UA OX for the demo so I think the delay is in the OX. But yes I agree with your comments about the loop on a plexi.

When I use delay on the 1987x, I slave the amp into my Hot Plate attenuator set as a load and then I slave it into the fx return of a second amp. Usually my BluGuitar since the power section is loud and clear and it's a small amp and easy to carry around.

But most of the time I just play the amp without delay. I use delay with all my other amps but with the plexi, I am OK without it, they don't feel dry to me for some reason..

turbopablo

Post by turbopablo »

That sounds great. It's a Swiss Army Plexi. I could get everything I want out of that one amp.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

turbopablo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:04 pm That sounds great. It's a Swiss Army Plexi. I could get everything I want out of that one amp.
Yeah that's how I feel too. I think it can easily replace my 1987x and do something things the Marshall can't do.

The switchable bright caps on both channels is a brilliant idea. It adds so much versatility to the amp.

I'm not in a hurry to get this since I love the 1987x but I think I'll switch to the Pkex eventually. I'll probably wait until they start to hit the used market.

turbopablo

Post by turbopablo »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:29 pm
turbopablo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:04 pm That sounds great. It's a Swiss Army Plexi. I could get everything I want out of that one amp.
Yeah that's how I feel too. I think it can easily replace my 1987x and do something things the Marshall can't do.

The switchable bright caps on both channels is a brilliant idea. It adds so much versatility to the amp.

I'm not in a hurry to get this since I love the 1987x but I think I'll switch to the Pkex eventually. I'll probably wait until they start to hit the used market.
If it pops for 48 month financing at Sweetwater, I can see myself grabbing one for xmas.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

That's a very good point :hmm: :lol:

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

This might be my end game amp on the Marshall side. I think between the Pro Reverb, SLO, Dr Z and this I could hit any tone I'd ever want
Ukraine? Mykraine

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

turbopablo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 pm If it pops for 48 month financing at Sweetwater, I can see myself grabbing one for xmas.
For F's sake. Now I have to check out Sweetwater to see if that deal pops up. Hopefully before June. Thought I read that the card provider (Synchrony) is going to be adding a 2% fee to any no interest deals over 18 months starting in June.

Just checked. 36 months offer ends on June 1st! Going to put myself on a cool down period and try to stop thinking about it.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

eyeball987 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:39 pm
turbopablo wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:47 pm If it pops for 48 month financing at Sweetwater, I can see myself grabbing one for xmas.
For F's sake. Now I have to check out Sweetwater to see if that deal pops up. Hopefully before June. Thought I read that the card provider (Synchrony) is going to be adding a 2% fee to any no interest deals over 18 months starting in June.

Just checked. 36 months offer ends on June 1st! Going to put myself on a cool down period and try to stop thinking about it.
lmao I guess I'll be closing my Sweetwater card. I saw a blurb about some new message on my last statement but they can get fucked if they're adding a 2% fee to an "interest free" purchase.
Ukraine? Mykraine

turbopablo

Post by turbopablo »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:58 pm
eyeball987 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:39 pm

lmao I guess I'll be closing my Sweetwater card. I saw a blurb about some new message on my last statement but they can get fucked if they're adding a 2% fee to an "interest free" purchase.
Yeah, that's going to be a issue.