I'm Not a Fan of The Dollar Shave Club

Talk about subjects not related to music or gear. Please keep discussions civil and follow the GGF rules of conduct at all times. Political and religious topics are not allowed.
I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Re: I'm Not a Fan of The Dollar Shave Club

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Ryandistortion wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:07 pm If you have never tried a straight razor, I suggest you do it once or twice. Can always go back to mach 5s or whatever. I didn't know I had irritable skin until I used a straight razor and my neck has thanked me ever since.

I followed Broslinger's advice and got a shower mirror. Saved me a lot of time.
Did someone say straights???
Attachments
SOTD 2-1-19.jpg
SOTD 2-1-19.jpg (140.43 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Ryandistortion wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:07 pm If you have never tried a straight razor, I suggest you do it once or twice. Can always go back to mach 5s or whatever. I didn't know I had irritable skin until I used a straight razor and my neck has thanked me ever since.

Just curious about what you're using to sharpen your straight?
Rocks are a pain in the arse... polishing film is a lot easier.
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

Ryandistortion

Post by Ryandistortion »

I'm an idiot. I meant safety razor. I have a hensen.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Ryandistortion wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 am I'm an idiot. I meant safety razor. I have a hensen.
lol
No worries mate!!! :hug:

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:03 am

Did someone say straights???
I think I'd kill myself with that blade.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Kinda wanna try a straight razor.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

greatmutah wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:03 pm Kinda wanna try a straight razor.

Straights are definitely interesting... and very scary at first. They take nerves of steel, intense concentration and lots of maintenance.
Just some random thoughts:
-It's an absolute must to watch a few how-to vids before giving it a go.
-You can sharpen with honing stones or, with polishing film on a precision granite slab. Polishing film is a lot easier.
Polishing Film: https://www.thorlabs.us/NewGroupPage9.c ... up_ID=1350
Precision Granite Surface Plate: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/wood ... 12-grade-a
- Kanayama strops are the best. I bought mine in 2013 when prices weren't so crazy.
- Carbon steel gets a sharper edge than stainless. Stainless holds its edge a bit longer.
- Carbon steel starts rusting almost immediately so, you have to put mineral oil on the blade after each use.
- A block of Alum is needed to rub on your fingers - it allows you to get a grip on lathered skin so you can pull it tight.

Hope this helps!

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

Ended up buying some Schick razors today. We'll see how well they do. Still not fancy like you guys, but one day!!!

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Broke out the Charcoal Goods razor this morning... it does the job well.
Midnight Dreary was my fav until Seaforth! knocked it out of first place... nevertheless, it's still in my top 10.
9/10
Attachments
sotd.jpg
sotd.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

I love all the Seaforth! stuff.... so, when this dropped earlier today, I immediately ordered a tub of soap and a bottle of skin toner.
Fucking YAY!!! :party:
https://spearheadshaving.com/
Attachments
toner.jpg
toner.jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
tub.jpg
tub.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 2745 times