Les Paul custom bridge pickup suggestion

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
holy-diver

Les Paul custom bridge pickup suggestion

Post by holy-diver »

I just got one of the new Adam jones LPCs, the one with the open book headstock cuz I can’t stomach the epi shaped one :cop: and it comes with a Duncan distortion bridge and gibson custom shop neck pickup. I’m not a neck pickup connoisseur but this one sounds pretty damn good but I’m not a huge fan of how the distortion sounds in here. I mean I don’t hate it but it’s kind of bland to me.

Some pickups I have liked in lpcs have been the Godwood but wanted to try something different. Not huge on the 498 either, again it’s fine but not my favorite. What else do you guys like? I want to get a covered one too if that matters
Last edited by holy-diver on Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Les Paul custom bridge pickup suggestion

Post by Guitarbilly »

What are you looking for? If you're looking for something PAF ish but slightly hotter, the Pearly Gates is great.
For straight up PAF the 59 is great. If you want a hot, modern pickup I'd suggest the Custom 5. These are all Duncans.

For DiMarzio it's hard to go wrong with a Super Distortion in a Les Paul. The 36th Anniversary is great too.

For Gibson, I like the 498T but you said you're not crazy about it, so maybe the 57 Classic would be cool.

Suhr Aldrich is a great hot pickup for LPs. BKP Rebel Yell is awesome too.

That's all I can think of now :lol:

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Wait...so does it currently have a custom or a distortion in the bridge? Confused...

I've only had 1 LP in my life, and I had a MCP Afwayu, and that thing is a beast of a pickup!
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

The Adam Jones should be a Duncan Distortion. If you want to stick to Duncan’s try a SH-5 Custom or even a Custom 5 for a hot PAF voicing. For more traditional, a Pearly Gates or 59. DiMarzios 36th would be cool too.

If you want to get into boutique space, I like BKP Mules for PAF type tones. They’re voiced similar to the Shaws I have in my 85 standard but potted and a little hotter. I also dig the MCP Angel Dusts for a more JB style pickup and the MCP Detroiter is my favorite pickup I’ve had in my H-157 (Heritage Les Paul Custom). About 9K and a lot of attitude. That pickup rules.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

broslinger

Post by broslinger »

I'm convinced too many people use Alnico V pickups. They aren't great at anything, IMO.

If you want metal distortion, searing leads, OR clean, ceramic sounds great. (Dimarzio is REALLY good at ceramic humbuckers)
Dimarzio X2N (The ultimate underrated humbucker)
Dimarzio Super Distortion
DImarzio Super 3
etc.

If you want clean to low to mid gain, or soaring leads, or thick fuzz tones, Alnico II sounds better.
Duncan Custom Custom
Duncan Alnico 2 Pro
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

bleedingwhiskey

Post by bleedingwhiskey »

For PAF tones, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates are my go-to. For higher gain tones I like the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom.

holy-diver

Post by holy-diver »

ninjaraf wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:33 am Wait...so does it currently have a custom or a distortion in the bridge? Confused...

I've only had 1 LP in my life, and I had a MCP Afwayu, and that thing is a beast of a pickup!
Mis typed it has a distortion in the bridge and Gibson custom shop in the neck. The always sounds like it might be sick though, is that the Jerry Cantrell pickup?

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I think so.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Oh the BKP Holy Diver also sounds really good and it would be like a "signature" pickup for you :lol:

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

bleedingwhiskey wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 3:01 pm For PAF tones, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates are my go-to. For higher gain tones I like the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom.
I agree with these. Pearly gates is really good in the right guitar. I’d also recommend the Duncan High Voltage. Prolly my favorite “hot PAF” Duncan makes. Pearly gates being 2nd. That high voltage isn’t as strident in the highs as the Pearly gates and has a little more growl to it and in the guitar I used it it hit more powerful than it specs out. Def harder than the Pearly Gates which is supposed to be slightly goosed output.

And the Custom is great in LPs. Maybe even a Custom 8 I used for awhile. Can do the swap yourself or I know the floor shop “custom” Duncan can swap a magnet to the alnico 8. Pretty sure it’s no extra charge, or it’s a small charge.

For a stock A8 pickup, the new Loomis Noumenon is pretty legit. Forst guitar I wasn’t too happy but it found a home in one of my latest builds and it’s awesome. I’d be shocked if I ever change it it’s that good!

Or Bareknuckle True Grit. That’s their medium output Boot camp Series. I’m a big fan of that pickup. Right now it’s in my Star tuned to B standard and it crushes. And in regular tuning it’s balanced too. Kinda really does do it all. I’ve also heard people like the Brute Force in LPs. I’ve got one and it’s hit or miss. It definitely has a little more of the upper mid spike. Prolly more akin to the Painkiller or Aftermath style.

And lastly, the Ceramic BK Nailbomb is a winner for me. Even the a5 is great but use that if the guitar is brighter and the ceramic for anything balanced to dark