NAD - Blackstar Stage HT100 MK III

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
fastredponycar

NAD - Blackstar Stage HT100 MK III

Post by fastredponycar »

Disclaimer - Zzounds sent this to me to try out for a few weeks and then send back to them. Not sponsored and not paid.

OK so it's my first blackstar and I've always seen the Stage HT's at GC but never plugged into one and this thing is pretty cool.

At $999, it seems like it has a ton of cool features. 3 really usable channels, no load box needed to run DI, balanced and 1/4" line out, dual voicings for all 3 channels and companion software you can use with a usb connection to the amp to build 3 virtual cab settings you can store in the amp.

I think for as good of a value it is, I was constantly butting heads with the voicing of the amp. I like a more upper midrange marshall type sound and this amp doesn't really do marshall or mesa. It's got it's own thing going on and my brain struggled to be okay with that. I don't fault the amp.

While the modern voicing gets a nice percussive and tight attack, I feel like the voicing just isn't there for really high gain metal... at least I couldn't get a super high gain tight modern metal sound and Ola struggled in his video as well (if the comments section is to be trusted). Accepting that and pulling back a bit, the amp really comes into it's own as a great high gain modern rock and 80's metal type thing with an extremely impressive clean channel. The OD1 channel has some great low gain classic rock sounds too. I used it for a couple of Skynnyrd songs, some Tom Petty and some modern country songs.

I didn't mess with the cab builder software but the 3 default virtual cabs were way above average vs lots of other devices I've tried with cab sim. It was about on par with the sound quality of my Captor X virtual cabs and Waza TAE with some good IR's but not as good as the OX Stomp. The other cool thing about using this amp USB into your DAW is that it sends several tracks. A stereo track, normal mono, DI bypassing the whole amp if you want to re-amp, etc

I gigged with it this weekend and it had good power and sat nicely in the mix. I used my Waza TAE to send a DI signal out to my OX Stomp then to the PA and it worked out pretty well.

But for the $1K price tag in a market swamped with much more expensive amps, for a 3 channel amp with a decent amount of flexibility in the voicings, not needing a load box or IR loader to gig cab-less or record DI at home, it's a pretty compelling package if you're not after a marshall or mesa sounding amp.

Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD - Blackstar Stage HT100 MK III

Post by Guitarbilly »

This amp does sound good. I watched the demo Doug Aldrich made of it a few months ago and I was impressed with the tones. I am weary of Blackstar based on past experiences though but maybe I will pick one of once they start popping up on the used market at lower prices.

Nice video btw

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

Blackstar always manage to get all the right ideas for their amps BUT some how never quite do it for me tonally.... not too sure what it is TBH... maybe I need to really spend sometime with one but my initial reactions are always its ok, not bad, could cut a gig with it if I had to but, I'd choose a few other amps before I use it
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

I don't like Blackstar amps. This video didn't change that.
Ukraine? Mykraine

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:33 pm I don't like Blackstar amps. This video didn't change that.
Agree.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I think it sounds good, but I suspect that Blackstar is geared towards my 80s rock enthused brethren.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I too, get the ick from blackstar
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

We had practice at a different studio last Saturday and they had a BlackStar 4x12 and I have to say it was a really good cab. It was loaded with Vintage 30s and it sounded great with a deeper low end than my 1960.

But overall I'm still weary of BlackStar. It's a company I'd take a chance at say under $600 for an used piece, but more than that, there are better options like DSLs :lol:

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

Marc G wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:32 pm Blackstar always manage to get all the right ideas for their amps BUT some how never quite do it for me tonally.... not too sure what it is TBH... maybe I need to really spend sometime with one but my initial reactions are always its ok, not bad, could cut a gig with it if I had to but, I'd choose a few other amps before I use it
I believe it uses a solid state preamp. There are only 2 12AX7's in the amp and I am assuming that one of them is a phase inverter for the power section. It may get one input stage of gain from the other 12AX7 but I don't know enough to say one way or the other... just speculation and knowing that other tube amps with this much gain have at least 4 preamp tubes.

The power section though is pretty decent. I ran my SYN1 with the XTC module into the FX return and got a great tone... maybe a bit harder hitting and louder than what I can get from my 50w Fryette power station.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

The HT amps have a solid state phase inverter, and it's actually a very good, innovative design. So the 2 tubes are actually preamp gain stages but yes the amp also uses diode clipping on the OD2 channel. The other channels are tube stages only.