Hotone Pulze mini amp review

Discussions about the latest digital rigs: Modeling, IRs, DAWs, Plug-ins... even Synths and E-Drums! If has 100110111, it belongs here!
Landshark

Hotone Pulze mini amp review

Post by Landshark »

i like Hotone stuff for the amp modeling - has good *feel* and sound for a non-professional player at a reasonable price IMHO.
i have an original Ampero into the effects return of a Randall RD50 combo, and an Ampero II Stomp 4CM with a Randall V2 head, and like the sounds i get out of each. the OG Ampero and RD50 sounds way better than it should (because of the E34L tubes in the RD50?)

saw the little Pulze amp and figured it would work good as my "gameroom amp" to replace the OG Ampero/RD50 ... has app control, so i put the app on an old Android tablet so i don't have to hunch over to make adjustments (probably my main reason for getting it :lol: )

its more limited when compared to the other products (less effect blocks, less variety of amps and effects), but totally fine for gameroom noodling. its little speakers even sound better than when i ran the Ampero Stomp into a powered Headrush FRFR. i am no fan of IR's for playing through actual speakers, but i guess they're probably fine for recording or mostly clean church music, but i like high gain thrashy stuff . i could never get a sound i liked with them no matter how many IR's i auditioned.

some amp models even have the extra controls in addition to the standard ones (Depth/Bright/Voicing, etc.). doesn't hurt that it can also be used as a big loud Bluetooth speaker. so ... pretty happy with it and i guess i'll keep it - got it from Amazon at a discount so i could easily return it if i wasn't satisfied.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Hotone Pulze mini amp review

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'm curious about the Hotone stuff. The Ampero has gotten rave reviews, even from guys like Bob Bradshaw and Dave Friedman, who don't benefit at all from recommending it. I also noticed Friedman was using an Ampero for effects in his NAMM booth this year.

My only experience with their gear so far was that British style pedal amp and I have to say it was a cool amp for a backup/portable rig. At the time I was looking for a DI unit and the DI wasn't great, but through a cab, it sounded really good.

I think if I go back to multi-effects pedals the Ampero is the one I will get, to use it with the modeling bypassed through my effects loop.

This seems to be a cool solution for a portable practice rig so I will keep this one in mind as well.

jiveturkey

Post by jiveturkey »

I thought thread title was Hotone Putz :cop: :lol:

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

:rofl: Me too!!!
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

Landshark

Post by Landshark »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:04 pm I'm curious about the Hotone stuff. The Ampero has gotten rave reviews, even from guys like Bob Bradshaw and Dave Friedman, who don't benefit at all from recommending it. I also noticed Friedman was using an Ampero for effects in his NAMM booth this year.

My only experience with their gear so far was that British style pedal amp and I have to say it was a cool amp for a backup/portable rig. At the time I was looking for a DI unit and the DI wasn't great, but through a cab, it sounded really good.

I think if I go back to multi-effects pedals the Ampero is the one I will get, to use it with the modeling bypassed through my effects loop.

This seems to be a cool solution for a portable practice rig so I will keep this one in mind as well.
Michael Nielsen just compared the new Ampero Stage to the QC ...

even the OG Ampero with no effects loop sounded way better than the much more expensive Mooer GE300 i had (sold). i really wanted to like that Mooer ... everything was great about it ... except the lifeless amp sounds.

other than that little Pulze amp, i don't mess with IR's, but can tell you that the Ampero stuff sounds great through 4CM ... in tube amps or even the solid state power amp in the Randall.