NAD..... Friedman Runt 50

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD..... Friedman Runt 50

Post by Guitarbilly »

Marc G wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:13 pm that makes sense and pretty much what I figured was the case.... I think next week some time when I have a minute I'll hook up my Captor X and record from the DI and from the Captor and compare them.... if the DI is as good as or close enough to the Captor X I'll be glad to leave the Captor X at home when I go to gigs now, provided it's not a gig where I have to go without my cab... which isn't often thankfully
The IR will probably record better tbh. They're more detailed and that really shows on a recording. I think a better test is to a/b both through a live PA. That's where the analog DI outperforms IRs IMHO. There's a lot more immediacy and weight in the mix.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

interesting...... will have to try it out in the rehearsal room then
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

fastredponycar

Post by fastredponycar »

Congrats! I loved mine as well. It just didn't do enough different when put up against my Jubilee or my Nitro.
Too much junk to list with 255 characters. :facepalm:

Check my gear reviews
https://www.youtube.com/@FastRedPonyCar

Chris Z

Post by Chris Z »

If I can't get a Bogner next year, going to find a Runt 50, hope you have fun with it!

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic »

Congrats on a badass amp. I stupidly sold mine only after owning it for a few months, but let me tell you - perfect amount of gain when it's dimed. Nice raw edge to it as well that I think lacks on the BE100.

These sound great with basically any speaker you throw at it, but I have been liking the standard Friedman Greenback/V30 combo.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I agree. They have an edge that other Friedman amps don't.
The Runt is probably the amp that came the closest to being a number one for me in place of the DSL :lol: I actually used it for a whole year and only went back because I missed the 100w power section. If they had a Runt 100 it would be all over because the preamp tone is indeed better.

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic »

Guitarbilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:31 am Yeah I agree. They have an edge that other Friedman amps don't.
The Runt is probably the amp that came the closest to being a number one for me in place of the DSL :lol: I actually used it for a whole year and only went back because I missed the 100w power section. If they had a Runt 100 it would be all over because the preamp tone is indeed better.
I'm an absolute whore for 50 watters, so the Runt 50 was way more attractive to me on that spec alone. :love:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

sahlomonic wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:38 am
Guitarbilly wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:31 am Yeah I agree. They have an edge that other Friedman amps don't.
I'm an absolute whore for 50 watters, so the Runt 50 was way more attractive to me on that spec alone. :love:
Yeah I don't mind 50ws and the Runt has a very strong power amp. But being in a trio the 100w amps add some size to the mix.

But I really did like the Runt 50. I'd consider getting another one.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

First jam with the Runt last night went great... really impressed how the dirt channel cleans up with the volume on the guitar and both channel take pedals really well.... I know I have a few more hours of messing and tweaking the amp before I really have it dialed in perfectly for me but I'm definitely off to a running start
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Marc G wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:32 pm First jam with the Runt last night went great... really impressed how the dirt channel cleans up with the volume on the guitar and both channel take pedals really well.... I know I have a few more hours of messing and tweaking the amp before I really have it dialed in perfectly for me but I'm definitely off to a running start
Yep. I'used mine as a single channel amp and just rolled back the volume for cleans. Although the clean channel is also really good.