Radically conflicting info from Mesa boogie support

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Re: Radically conflicting info from Mesa boogie support

Post by spawnofthesith »

zozobra wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:20 pm There is a good reason that techs cry when someone brings a mrak in :lol:

that said, there isn't a great deal for a competent tech to worry about here. Pop it open, it either has the right primary taps bundled away somewhere or it doesn't. If it does, then swap over to the right tap and test the voltages. The MOV isn't that important - most amps don't have them and Mesa doesn't do the best implementation anyway.

This article by RG Keen shows how it should be done and how to select the right MOV: https://www.premierguitar.com/the-immor ... -mods-pt-3

A 3 or 4A fuse will be fine. They are blunt tools in this application. If it fires up and doesn't blow a 3A fuse then use that. The conventional wisdom is that doubling the voltage halves the current, so stepping from 230 to 117 would double the current => 1.5x2 = 3A

For comparison a 120V Laney GH100L uses a 5A primary fuse. A 5150iii 100W at 115V uses 6A.
he tried to pitch me some bias mod and I was like uhhh pass lol

On the bright side, the two support folks agreed on the MOV part at least :loL:

Mesa taking their sweet time to ship this order out, a label hasn't even been created a week later :cry:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah they always do that. When I ordered some replacement pots for that f100 they took 10 days to ship it and they shipped the slowest possible option too. They are all east bay hippies. It gets there when it gets there.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:04 pm Yeah they always do that. When I ordered some replacement pots for that f100 they took 10 days to ship it and they shipped the slowest possible option too. They are all east bay hippies. It gets there when it gets there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ukraine? Mykraine

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I lost a slider knob on my Mark VII. Ordered more from Mesa. Took about 3 weeks to get here, and they shipped them in a regular fucking envelope with stamps.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

ninjaraf wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:08 pm I lost a slider knob on my Mark VII. Ordered more from Mesa. Took about 3 weeks to get here, and they shipped them in a regular fucking envelope with stamps.
yep. Hippie shit. These people have no sense of urgency or time in general.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

:lol:

Fortunately just got tracking, should be here Sunday
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband