Radically conflicting info from Mesa boogie support

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Radically conflicting info from Mesa boogie support

Post by spawnofthesith »

So I’m trying to get my mark IV converted to US voltage. The export model schematic does show the OT as having. 117V tap. Last week while I was inquiring support about something else I sent said schematic and asked for confirmation. She confirmed that that was correct and informed me that the varistor and fuse needed to be changed. I requested part numbers but wasn’t hearing back so I tried starting a new support email. This second person comes back and tells me that the schematic and the other person are wrong and I’ll need a new transformer. He gives me all the part numbers. Since things are inconsistent I work out with my tech that I’ll order the parts needed in case it does have the proper tap and we can just get it switches asap. Annoying but fingers crossed (worst case scenario said transformer is only $280 which isn’t as bad as I thought)

Well the first person just emails me back again with part numbers. Except she says it’s a 4A fuse. The other guy told me 3A and that’s what I ordered. I do think I have some 4A lying around but wtf man :freak:

So not really sure what to do or think about the fuses but at least there will be some clarity when the parts come and I take it in
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

spawnofthesith

Re: Radically conflicting info from Mesa boogie support

Post by spawnofthesith »

333397C6-77F2-4A4E-98A9-826241A3F5A8.jpeg
333397C6-77F2-4A4E-98A9-826241A3F5A8.jpeg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 2022 times

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

That's kind of annoying. Especially since you're taking what they are saying as essentially gospel, only to get mixed messaging from two customer support representatives.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

with fuses, you can't go higher since it potentially allows more amperage than the amp can handle, but lower is fine so go 3A

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:35 am with fuses, you can't go higher since it potentially allows more amperage than the amp can handle, but lower is fine so go 3A
This. Higher than spec could cause the amp to get subjected to conditions that would be detrimental to the PCB and other components. 3A is likely the best way to go.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Didn’t know that, thanks for the tip :thu:

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

This is not surprising from Mesa, considering their schematics are basically inaccurate children's drawings of some potential version of their amps lolol.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

ninjaraf wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:32 am This is not surprising from Mesa, considering their schematics are basically inaccurate children's drawings of some potential version of their amps lolol.
:lol:

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

There is a good reason that techs cry when someone brings a mrak in :lol:

that said, there isn't a great deal for a competent tech to worry about here. Pop it open, it either has the right primary taps bundled away somewhere or it doesn't. If it does, then swap over to the right tap and test the voltages. The MOV isn't that important - most amps don't have them and Mesa doesn't do the best implementation anyway.

This article by RG Keen shows how it should be done and how to select the right MOV: https://www.premierguitar.com/the-immor ... -mods-pt-3

A 3 or 4A fuse will be fine. They are blunt tools in this application. If it fires up and doesn't blow a 3A fuse then use that. The conventional wisdom is that doubling the voltage halves the current, so stepping from 230 to 117 would double the current => 1.5x2 = 3A

For comparison a 120V Laney GH100L uses a 5A primary fuse. A 5150iii 100W at 115V uses 6A.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

ninjaraf wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:32 am This is not surprising from Mesa, considering their schematics are basically inaccurate children's drawings of some potential version of their amps lolol.
Mesa doesn't keep great records of what their amps are at any given point. Just watch the video where Steve Fryette discusses the Synergy IICP module with Paul Hennig.