Single channel face ripping Marshall. What is there?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Single channel face ripping Marshall. What is there?

Post by Guitarbilly »

PDI-03 is pretty cool as an all-in-one device but if you have the Suhr irs unnecessary since the Suhr load sounds better.
I'd just look for an used PDI-09, they're pretty cheap.
Palmer recently replaced the PDI-09 with ILM, which is the same exact circuit as the 09, but now you have the option to turn off the cab sim completely if you want to use it as a psssive line out box with an IR loader.

Telephant

Post by Telephant »

When I think face ripping Marshall I think modded JMP, like Jose or SIR modded. Seems like Friedman is pretty much the go to for that. :idk:

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

the new Friedman Vintage series sounds like it will itch the scratch for you
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

Don't forget to look at the Splawn stuff, the Prostock might be up your alley.

Cole

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

colejustesen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:03 am Don't forget to look at the Splawn stuff, the Prostock might be up your alley.

Cole
Yep, Prostock (100W) or Competition (50W). There is a guy selling a Competition locally that I'm a little bit interested in. But I did just recently sell a Quick Rod, and don't really have a ton of desire to get one again. I do like how easy it was to control the volume with it though.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

The Splawns are great amps indeed. But they're different. They sound like a Marshall but they don't feel like one. They're a lot tighter and stiffer. I'd say they're a cross between the Marshall sound and the Hiwatt feel. They're very cool and unique amps though.

jiveturkey

Post by jiveturkey »

So circling back around to this. I did end up grabbing the Suhr RL and it is awesome with the Stealth. FANTASTIC.

The Marshall part of this discussion is not as easy. The point is kind of me never getting a true "Marshall experience". I had the Mode Four. Which was OK. And the DSL which was great for single channel goodness. I want to see what's beyond that and keep it as (ugh) authentic as possible. Dave Freidman is obviously a killer amp designer but I don't want some "curated" or "fixed" Marshall. I want something raw and true to the brand. I think?:drool:

That Orange (aka nothing really like what I am describing here) is still on my radar. And to the original point; a Jube or JVM treated as a single channel might be the best modern "equivalents" without grabbing a 220wteverx? I could certainly blowing smoke up my own ass at this point :freak: :lol: Ceriatone could be cool as well as they seem fairly accurate from all I have read?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I mean you could buy a 1987X. You'd be surprised how much gain that amp has. I never went past the half point.

The effects loop is not very effective though because you're distorting the power amp. But if you're going to put it through a load you can just run your effects after the load.

It's the amp I regret selling the most tbh. I really want another one.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

A 1987X would be awesome. And the only reason I haven’t suggested anything Metropoulos your way is because I don’t think you want to go into the $3K range. Because out of all the builders out there, George doesn’t do the “curated” perfect recorded Marshall tone. He wants all the stuff everyone cuts out. He wants the rasp and the snarl. He wants the cut and harmonics. No disrespect to Dave and what he does. He does amazing work and amazing amps. George though is on a different wavelength. I love my 100 watt Metroplex but still want to try a 50 watt MP Mk II because I want to know how well he actually did not only his own plexi tone but the 12301 tones too. I need to go visit him soon.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Killer deal here:

https://reverb.com/item/78957816-metrop ... head-metro

Although I'd need to know what 67' Spec means. If it's the Bass tone stack and shared cathode, it's cool but I'd prefer the regular Lead spec (which I think is '68 and up).