Incoming HX stomp...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Re: Incoming HX stomp...

Post by spawnofthesith »

I wonder if it’s due to the modeling dsp usage and potentially draws less when being used for FX only?
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV | Badlander 50

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Line 6 usually overstates the mA consumption, it would be interesting to measure how much it really takes.

As for the power supplier, the issue with transformer based suppliers like the Pedal Power is that any oscillation on the power outlet gets transferred to the pedals. For example, if you getting 119v instead of 120v from the outlet, the pedals would be getting approximately 8.5v instead of 9v. Most pedals don't care about it, but for digital processors, it can cause issues, especially if they have relays.

Switching power suppliers like the Cioks can take anything from 100v to 240v and convert to a steady 9v, so they're much more stable.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

Iron core transformer based wallwarts are also dying the death due to various directives soft banning them outside of sensitive medical devices as they are less efficient than switchers and we should be trying to minimize the amount of transformer grade iron that ends up in landfills. Because of this it is increasigly difficult to buy them. I'm currently prototyping an air quality sensor with sensitive electronics that would actually benefit from an iron core power supply as the low frequecy noise is easier to filter and regulate than an SMPS, but it is a fuck finding one that isn't mega dollars for what it does. Instead I'm having to use an SMPS and then filter the tits off before using a linear low drop out regulator followed by more filtering. Still, this is cheaper and more efficient than iron. The rub is my singal of interest is like 500 kHz to 2 mHz so swithching hash is bad.

I'd imagine any quality switching based pdeal supply is doing something similar. Switching frequency tends to be in the range of several 10's of kHz for older swiching driver ICs, with modern ones running in the 100's of kHz to mHz, but people are lazy and will copy what was good 10 years ago rather than reach for new devices and the switching frequency tends to drop as load goes up and this can cause fucky behaviour if the switching noise starts getting into the range of clock frequencies.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Arrived today, pretty sweet love the GUI

First thing I did was spend a little bit of time with the modelling going straight to my IEMs. Honestly fairly underwhelmed with that :lol: but I’ll load some proper IRs on there and revisit later as well as play around with rubbing some stuff into returns of my amps just to play around

On to what I actually got it for, love the added flexibility I have now with the stomp vs. the 1. Also much steeper learning curve for my Luddite ass though, so my weekend will be pretty occupied with this

I was actually able to pretty quickly build a patch that replicates what I need from my afterneath so pulling that for. Ow. I a originally hoping to pull my keeley comp plus too bht that things just too good, and nothing really seems 1:1 all these comp models have a million parameters

Anyways pretty pleased so far. Been building out some pretty wild patches and also just trying to figure out the best way to streamline my actual needs too

Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV | Badlander 50

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Somewhat addicted to poly capo and pretending I have an 8 string. Heres a whale fart clip. Not using amp modelling amp is my 5153 into captor

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0q3-J ... HiW05/view

ElDirtySanchez

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

How's the latency on the poly capo? It sounds pretty convincing
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

ElDirtySanchez wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:23 pm How's the latency on the poly capo? It sounds pretty convincing
It's not bad at all. Obviously an octave down is the most extreme setting, and probably slightly more noticeable than if you're only shifting a few steps, but its pretty incredible/impressive. I haven't found it to be a problem at all and it had already worked its way into a few of my bands songs and dont have any issues with it live or practicing

I could also be hallucinating, but I feel like possibly even better tracking/latency than on the HX one? Could be all in my head but I do wonder if FX perform better with the SHARC vs ARM processer in stomp vs one. I don't know anything about all that stuff though

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Rearranged some stuff to add this additional midi switch, it was only $25 and has pretty positive reviews. Cables to connect it should be arriving today. Should allow me to scroll presets, have tap/tuner and 5 stomps per preset easily accessible and fits like a glove

Yarbicus

Post by Yarbicus »

Is that the M Vave Chocolate? I have one but haven't used it yet.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Yarbicus wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:28 pm Is that the M Vave Chocolate? I have one but haven't used it yet.
Yep, never programmed midi before but have been watching some vids/reddit threads on using it with the stomp so hopefully can get it all setup pretty quickly tonight