Single channel face ripping Marshall. What is there?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
jiveturkey

Single channel face ripping Marshall. What is there?

Post by jiveturkey »

Posted this at my other spot but knew the braintrust here would have some insight :heart:

Started window shopping. For what I am envisioning; DSL needs a boost. 800 needs a boost. JVM versions are a confusion fest "this channel needs a boost, this amp doesn't have enough gain, this amp OD1 is good and OD2 sucks while this one OD2 is great but everyone mods to OD1 specs". WTF.

I started looking at the SLX as it has a pretty good lower key rep for being evil. Is there something attainable I am not thinking of? I don't want a Friedman or some modern version from another manufacturer. I want the OG. I don't want to have to boost it to get where I want to go. I will be running it through a load box most of the time with some FAS fx post for the greasy stuff. Thoughts?

jiveturkey

Re: Single channel face ripping Marshall. What is there?

Post by jiveturkey »

I should add that it doesn't need to be a single channel. I just thought that might make it easier as there would be less of a focus on it needing to be a channel switcher and just have that one gut punching thing to worry about \m/

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

The 800 certainly needs a boost.

The DSL, I don't think it needs one, it does have enough gain, especially on OD2, but it does sound good boosted.

Outside from that, you go into the modern hot rod brands: Friedman, Wizard, Splawn etc....

The Hot Mod/Lynch Mod is another good option. I'd think an 800 with them would be enough gain for anything. But you can also use the the mod with the DSL on the V3 position (instead of V2 in the 800) and that's certainly more than enough gain. I've tried here and it was an unbelievable amount of gain in the Red channel - unusable for me - but the Green crunch sounded really good with it.

But here's the thing though: the Marshall tone is not very high gain to being with. There is only so much gain you can add to it before it stops sounding like a Marshall and it just becomes a high gain amp. The 100W 5153 EL34 is a good example of that. You can get a very legit Marshall tone out of the Blue Channel with the gain at or below noon. Past that point it becomes its own thing.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

jiveturkey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:18 pm I will be running it through a load box most of the time with some FAS fx post for the greasy stuff. Thoughts?
On that point, you could look for a JMP-1 and just add the rest of the stuff from your Fractal. Or Even the IR-X.

You could also consider 20w heads like the SC20 or the Friedman JEL20 and 4CM with the Fractal and boost the front and load the back with IRs.

maggotspawn

Post by maggotspawn »

I agree with Billy, the DSL doesn't need a boost. Killer hot rodded Marshall tones in them.

jiveturkey

Post by jiveturkey »

So Green crunch wasn't as gainy as I wanted iirc when I had one. The red seemed a little too gained out but a bit too messy iirc? K might be looking for something ideal that actually doesn't exist. Is the SC power section going to suck in comparison to a typical 100 watt power section when trying to run it the way I am wanting to?

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

Laney GH series

No boost for that sound, and that's not engaging the additional drive section. That is through a load box (Captor X). I don't know exactly what you are shooting for, but I could likely record some more examples if you are looking for a different sort of tone.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

jiveturkey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm So Green crunch wasn't as gainy as I wanted iirc when I had one. The red seemed a little too gained out but a bit too messy iirc? K might be looking for something ideal that actually doesn't exist. Is the SC power section going to suck in comparison to a typical 100 watt power section when trying to run it the way I am wanting to?
I doubt you would notice a difference in that scenario.

As for the DSL - I agree green crunch needs a boost. I'd suggest adding the Lynch Mod to it, that is a righteous tone. Red 1 should be fine without a boost though. Red 2 is messy and bassy.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

macaronisalad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 pm Laney GH series

No boost for that sound, and that's not engaging the additional drive section. That is through a load box (Captor X). I don't know exactly what you are shooting for, but I could likely record some more examples if you are looking for a different sort of tone.
Yeah the GH is a great amp. The midrange is lower than a Marshall though, closer to a Soldano. But it's a killer amp regardless.

jiveturkey

Post by jiveturkey »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:53 pm
jiveturkey wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm So Green crunch wasn't as gainy as I wanted iirc when I had one. The red seemed a little too gained out but a bit too messy iirc? K might be looking for something ideal that actually doesn't exist. Is the SC power section going to suck in comparison to a typical 100 watt power section when trying to run it the way I am wanting to?
I doubt you would notice a difference in that scenario.

As for the DSL - I agree green crunch needs a boost. I'd suggest adding the Lynch Mod to it, that is a righteous tone. Red 1 should be fine without a boost though. Red 2 is messy and bassy.
Maybe I am thinking of OD 2? OD 1 or Green boosted with a pedal velcro'd to the top is probably going to be the easiest route :party: