School me on 5150s

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
greatmutah

School me on 5150s

Post by greatmutah »

Ok I’m not totally ignorant on these but I’m curious about the ones I’ve not owned. I’ve owned two 5150 heads (block letter and script letter) and a 6505+. Differences between those was the 5150s had a shared EQ across 3 modes and was also a more aggressive amp than the 6505+. Not that the 6505+/5150II lacked in gain. A little smoother. Still a great rock and metal amp. I could easily be happy again with either the standard version or the II/+ model.

What I’m actually ignorant about is the 5153s and their different models.

I know there’s the standard white 100 watt, the Stealth and EL34. I also know there’s a 50 watt 6L6, EL34 and Stealth. Concentric volumes and gains on the clean/crunch depending on the year. And their are sound differences between the 100 and 50 of each version and not just due to different power sections.

Theres also the Iconics which are supposed to be Fender’s take on the Peavey style amps but with a SS preamp and tube driven loop and PI, I’m guessing?

Anyway, here’s what I’d like to know. Similarities/differences, how similarly can the current crop be dialed to the older versions, and what would probably be the best value to dollars ratio available? I do know that Peavey still makes the amps but if I go Peavey it’ll probably be a used USA made one. Still not 100% on MIC amps, despite most amps using MIC components. MIM I have much less an issue. For reference this will be in the rock/hard rock sounds up to some metal. The heaviest I might get is like Machine Head The More Things Change heavy and I know a Peavey will do that in spades. Just curious if I’d be losing too much with one of the Fender versions.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: School me on 5150s

Post by Guitarbilly »

Paging Raf lol he's the resident 5150 expert

Personally, I like both Peaveys. I think the original is more rock n roll and raw, both versions have a ton of gain, but the II is a bit tighter and maybe a bit more modern sounding.

And let's not forget the 6534+, which is the II with EL34s and it sounds AWESOME. It's hard to find but it's a great amp, kind of in between a 5150 and a DSL. :love: :lol:

For the EVHs, I only tried the original 100w and 50w, and the 50w EL34. I love the originals. The Blue channel of the 100w is not very high gain and its probably my favorite sound on the EVH line (out the ones I've tried).
The 50w 6L6 is also a great amp, a lot of gain in the blue channel but it sounds great.

The 50w EL34 needs a mod to the Blue channel (IMHO) but it's pretty simple to do it.

I haven't played any of the Stealths or the 100w EL34 yet. I have a feeling I'd like the 100w EL34 better than all other EVHs but I haven't played one yet.

Also, the Peaveys and EVHs have some things in common but they're different sounding amps at the end of the day. I feel that EVHs sound more polished overall. Like them both when I'm playing them but listening to old gigs I've played with the EVHs and the Peaveys, I prefer the Peaveys for what I do.

Spaced Out Ace

Post by Spaced Out Ace »

I think Raf will have the gospel on this.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I did play a 6534+ once at GC and it was awesome. Even with the crappy cab it was hooked up to. Had some E34 grit to it but still very much in the 5150/6505 camp. I actually wouldn’t mind one of those either. I did play a 50 watt EL34 at GC also. Wasn’t bad either but I think if I go this route I’d prefer to go 6L6 unless it’s the aforementioned 6534+.

I’m eagerly awaiting responses from Raf and EndTime. I know those two are practically experts on those amps.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

The new 1992’s look tempting at $1299

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

i was a little "meh" on this 50w EL34 at first, but now playing it with v30s and boosting with my chiron im really starting to fall in love lol. this chiron is like a magic box for me, seriously go to RT and order one from griff, its the best $100 youll ever spend on a piece of gear.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I’ve had a 6505+, EVH 5153 100 watt OG, 5153 50 watt, and EVH Iconic.

Short answer is that the only one I’d be interested in owning again is the 6505+. None are bad at all, 50 watt was my least favourite.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Bill kinda said what needs to be said.
Of the PVs I prefer the original 5150/6505. Does need a boost or even a 6 band EQ up front cutting some of the lows going in does the trick. Or simply a TON of volume. While everyone likes to say power tubes don’t matter In These amps haven’t cranked it to where the power tubes are compressing. That’s how Eddie used these to begin with. Straight in with the mids scooped out and turned up to noon or 1 o’clock. You will absolutely hear the amp change a ton of character when the amp is that loud. It gets pretty brown sounding with the right settings. Anything below 4, which is still loud enough for a loud band, the power tubes don’t effect it much

The 5152 chopped a lot of low end grunt out. Even tho the 5153 is also a continuation of the 2, I feel the low end on the original is why I pick it over the 2, and the 5153 changed it just enough that I also prefer the low end of the 3 over the 2.

The 5153 original is maybe the most refined of em all. Most smooth and the mids are the most “wide” of that makes sense. The Stealth’s el34 and 6l6 are metal plugged straight in. BUT they can be turned into the original red channel at least. By turning the BLUE gain all the way down. That is essentially the “Stealth Mod”, they tied the 2nd channel into the 3rd channel. I suppose it can be thought of how a Plexi gets more gain by utilizing both channels. The Blue gain control has an effect on the Red channels overall gain and aggression. The orginal 5153 doesn’t have this.

The 50 watters are all good for what they do. The red gets pretty close to the 100 watters. The blue channels vary between the 50 watters most. I had both a 50 watt el34 and 100 at the same time. I had to see if the 100 was truly the best of em all or if the 50 watt does what I need. Afterall, I played the Peavey 5150 combo for almost 2 decades. And THaT amp is basically a split between the 5150 and 5152.. But anyway, after I got the 100el34, it just had that little bit better everything. Blue channel is amazing. Red just had that more depth and texture and BIGness… etc. I prolly liked the original 6l6 50 watt best Among the 50 watt line. The red of the 50 watters are all essentially the same. I’m fact the red channel between ALL the 5153 amps is technically the same besides the Stealth and that blue channel crossover I mentioned. Otherwise they are all based on the same design.
Last edited by Endtime on Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Oh yeah the Iconic. It’s cool. I guess it has some PV flavor, but even per James Brown it’s more of a cross between the 5153 and PV. The red definitely is this. It’s funny, I remember when I knew that fraud Fricker was doing EQ matching when he claims in his 5150 vs Ivonic video to make them identical! I had both these amps at that time and they can’t be dialed in to be the same. But what’s funny was , that amp has the “Burn” switch which adds thickness and a bit slower attack. THIS was James Brown’s attempt at recreating the original 5150. And Fricker said “I don’t know why they added this feature as the original didn’t have it.”” Hahaha. Even James Brown chimes in the comments and said this was his tweak to recreate the originals tone…

The green on the Iconic has a PV flavor. Definitely in the ballpark of the PV 5150 green channel but not quite as big in the bottom. When I had it I used the booster green as my preferred tone. Overall, it was my least favorite of any 5150 , but still very good considering

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I had a 5150 and a 5150 II that I never really bonded with in my hands. The 5153 50 watt (I have the 6L6) is kind of the ultimate brootz amp when considering the price, features, and form factor imo. It just gives me “that” crushing saturated face melting tone. Kind of a no brainer imo. I first fell in love with the 5153 trying Ethan’s 100 watter years ago. It’s been too long for me to really think of direct comparison but everyone says the 100 watt is really that much better than the 50

I think it’s hard to go wrong with any iteration of the amp. Really a home run series
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband