D’addarios

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Marc G

Re: D’addarios

Post by Marc G »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:49 pm
screamingdaisy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm I don't like how bright D'addario are and typically prefer EB. I also like GHS and Dunlop, however I move around a lot and EB is available everywhere.

The exception is PRS. EB is way too dark on a PRS and I have to use the brightness of D'addario to balance it out. That D'addario is PRS factory string makes sense.

I've tried NYXL a few times and think they're a waste of money. On guitar they have an irritating frequency in the upper mids I don't like, and for me they don't last any longer than EXL.
I think you’re the first person to claim the NYXLs don’t last any longer than the regular Daddarios.

Mine last significantly longer than regular XLs. Not only do they retain their “new string” tone but they also handle more abuse compared to the XLs.

This has been pretty consistent among techs, and other players I’ve talked to.
How long on average does a set last for you?
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I think you’re the first person to claim the NYXLs don’t last any longer than the regular Daddarios.

Mine last significantly longer than regular XLs. Not only do they retain their “new string” tone but they also handle more abuse compared to the XLs.

My strings typically go dead due to the build up of crap in the windings, and NYXLs have nothing that prevents/reduces that.

I also haven't broken a string in 20 years, so saying they take more abuse is a moot point as I wasn't breaking normal strings.

I feel like there's a certain amount of confirmation bias with NYXL; that because they're more expensive, they must be better. I didn't find them any better or worse than any other string.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

The NYXLs are the only Daddario I actually liked. I can't really comment on the longevity aspect because I also don't break strings and I don't have a corrosive sweat. I change strings on my main guitar every 4-6 weeks as part of a larger maintenance routine (cleaning, lubrication etc) bit they're pretty much like new when I switch them , even though I play for hours every day, any string set lasts a long time for me. So that's kind of a moot point.

But when I tried the NYXLs they felt and sounded great, a bit less stiff and warmer sounding than the regular XLs. So yeah I like them, but not enough to justify the higher price.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

screamingdaisy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 pm

My strings typically go dead due to the build up of crap in the windings, and NYXLs have nothing that prevents/reduces that.

I also haven't broken a string in 20 years, so saying they take more abuse is a moot point as I wasn't breaking normal strings.

I feel like there's a certain amount of confirmation bias with NYXL; that because they're more expensive, they must be better. I didn't find them any better or worse than any other string.
I was having the regular XLs go dead sounding on the plain strings within a couple weeks and I’d usually break the low E or A every couple weeks. It got to the point I was changing my strings weekly when I was gigging.

The NYXLs I moved to an every 6 week schedule bc they still sounded fresh and weren’t breaking on me.

These days I leave them on for 6 months as I’m not actively gigging and they’re great the whole time. I swear the regular XLs were corroding just from the ambient air because the plain strings would get dark. I don’t have corrosive sweat so not sure why the XLs went dark while the NYXLs didn’t. I tried the EB Cobalts before these and was ready to give up on more expensive strings so no real confirmation bias there. I hate Elixers too.
Ukraine? Mykraine

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:28 pm
I was having the regular XLs go dead sounding on the plain strings within a couple weeks and I’d usually break the low E or A every couple weeks. It got to the point I was changing my strings weekly when I was gigging.

The NYXLs I moved to an every 6 week schedule bc they still sounded fresh and weren’t breaking on me.

These days I leave them on for 6 months as I’m not actively gigging and they’re great the whole time. I swear the regular XLs were corroding just from the ambient air because the plain strings would get dark. I don’t have corrosive sweat so not sure why the XLs went dark while the NYXLs didn’t. I tried the EB Cobalts before these and was ready to give up on more expensive strings so no real confirmation bias there. I hate Elixers too.
I think local climate also plays a roll.

Out west (prairie country) was low humidity and I'd change bass strings every 5 weeks. Week 1 was too bright, week 2-5 were perfect, week 5 I'd max out the tone control and they'd start sounding like crap by week 6.

I now live beside a giant lake (Superior) and depending upon time of year I've had strings go dead in 3-5 hours. I switched to Elixir for awhile and could get 3 months out of them, but after awhile they'd start sounding weird. Not dead... but not fresh either. One of the reasons I switched to active basses was that I could boost the treble and a full month or so out of a normal set of strings.

Guitars I used to change every 4 weeks on a gigging guitar and 6+ months on a non-gigging guitar. I haven't played guitar seriously in years, so some of the strings are pretty old at this point.

Tone on the other hand, that's subjective. I'm not super picky, but I don't like bright as fuck tone.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

No doubt the local climate has some kind of effect but I'm not sure to what extent , since I've moved from CA to NV to PA and now MD and these areas all have very different climates but I haven't noticed any difference in string longevity. But then again, I'm lucky that my hands are not corrosive at all. Maybe if you a corrosive sweat, some climates may make the problem worse.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I had a friend who could rust through a set of strings in about a week. It was pretty crazy. He's the worst I've ever seen in that regard.

I'd occasionally let him play my guitar for a couple minutes and I'd see rust on them, but after I played it for awhile the rust would go away. I'd joke my sweat was a string preservative.

It wasn't until I started swapping strings monthly that I really started to notice the aging process. Before that I'd let them go for a year or more, then bitch about how bad new strings sounded.

These days I'm the opposite. At some point I got used the sound of new strings and will swap them every month or so in an effort to maintain it.

broslinger

Post by broslinger »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:54 am No doubt the local climate has some kind of effect but I'm not sure to what extent , since I've moved from CA to NV to PA and now MD and these areas all have very different climates but I haven't noticed any difference in string longevity. But then again, I'm lucky that my hands are not corrosive at all. Maybe if you a corrosive sweat, some climates may make the problem worse.
It's nice not having corrosive sweat.

My best bro can turn strings black by looking at them. If he touches the guitar, the strings are WRECKED. :wall:
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I know some players that are like that, they have to change strings after a single show or practice. I think in that case, it's worth looking into longer lasting strings but I'm glad I don't have that issue.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

any one with guitars that have stainless steel frets find their strings seem to stay fresher longer or am I just imagining things?
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote: