Revisited old clips and realized

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Revisited old clips and realized

Post by Endtime »

, man I had that shit dialed in to be pretty damn brutal when it was on point. And back then it was just My 5150 combo most of the time or XXX, thru some Eminence Legend v12 speakers thru my Universal Audio tube preamp. That preamp definitely added some weight to the tone. Especially guitar and bass. About 6 years ago, after 12 years of using this pre for almost all my recordings I moved on. Only cause it does have a pretty clear footprint. So when you use it for ALL the tracks there is certain sonic footprint from the preamp that starts to show up. But I do miss it sometimes. Nothing quite has replicated the balls that picked up. And the eminence Legends are sumthin I sorta miss at times too. Not all the time but when I got a good recording? I can look back and realize and I had it dialed in.

Point is I have neither of those and was looking into maybe buying em again. But then I also realized I used to Exclusively use the Beta 57. I never got good results with the sm57 back then. Today I haven’t touched my beta in years.. I don’t even know why. Well I do… but point is I figured. Let’s run that thru the Neve preamp , which has a big footprint, and see…

And damn, if that isn’t maybe the missing piece.!

So 5153 el34 100 red channel
My custom made Star with Evh Wolfgang. Alnico 2 doing downtuned brutal death metal?!?! That unpossible!!
Beta 57
And Peavey 5150 cab with the stock Sheffield 1200 speakers. I’m damn certain, this gear, besides the amp isn’t suitable for “metal”! Haha. Of course my sarcasm is strong cause whenever I hear hear recommendations for a “style “, besides obvious things, it’s just ridiculous to me. A PAF. And be brutal. Anyway. Check it out. This has a certain character I def found I was missing recently

https://app.box.com/s/88aix2hy43vz19mtfuv55xa1n1eb1b1b

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Revisited old clips and realized

Post by Guitarbilly »

It sounds great man. I can't say if it is more or less heavy than your other clips because it's all pretty damn heavy to me lol but it's great nonetheless

broslinger

Post by broslinger »

Sounds awesome.

When the higher part comes in near the end, it sounds like Portal. I like it.

BTW, are the drums acoustic? They sound real, and great.
P O W E R F U L ___ M I D C U T ___ C O N T R O L

SPOTIFY LINK TO CATATONIC DOUCHE ALBUM!!!
https://open.spotify.com/album/0IOhhAhdZfaB7BN74SUHLC

Also iTunes and Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/artist/holid ... 1293369997

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

broslinger wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 pm Sounds awesome.

When the higher part comes in near the end, it sounds like Portal. I like it.

BTW, are the drums acoustic? They sound real, and great.
Nice. Pretty cool on the Portal comparison!

Drums are interesting cause I don’t even have them anymore! This song has been hanging around in my back pocket for awhile. I did slightly tweak it. But as I mentioned I was going thru my old recordings and I came across this Drum track.. I must have sent it out for a reason. Back on my old computer since it was underpowered, I would bounce the drum samples to a stereo track. Anyway, what I remember was this is the ORIGINAL Drumkit from Hell, Cymbals and Kick. I forgot how much I love that kick. I need to try and get my new samples close. But I remember working on that kick for months. Just finding a little bit here and there.. but the SNaRE, is actually from my kit at the time and I made a full sample set of my snare and Toms. Not sure if these are my kit’s toms or not. But the snare is actually my acoustic snare. Which was the 13x6 Joey Jordison model. I don’t even remember the brand. Lol. Shit…. I should know this, but it’s prolly still easy enough to find

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Sounds great! Has some of that murkiness that hasn't really been present with the thrash stuff.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

i remember thinking i needed that universal audio preamp back when i started recording hearing your clips, was that the 610?

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

RaceU4her wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:21 am i remember thinking i needed that universal audio preamp back when i started recording hearing your clips, was that the 610?
Yeah. The 610 solo. Now they’ve gone up a fair bit. I got mine back in the $600 or was it $699. But it’s still worth it at $1k or whatver they are. Used prices aren’t terrible. It definitely had a big soundstage. Which worked well with the beta 57 cause it’s a bright mic. But not harsh or pokey. Just detailed and I usually mic off center more to compensate. But it’s got a real punchy and tight low end. Honestly I usually don’t even high pass. This clip is like 50hz. So really not doing much. But anyway, the extra fullness of the 610 gave that combo a “mix ready” type sound. Very full and chunky, but no woofiness and that detailed high end. But the Neve, even this 511 model, which is their “cheaper” one, is capturing a very full low end. So I pretty much got the same results as I did with the 610.

Nowadays I’d be curious about the Solo 110. Cause that was the solid state version. But it was a modern design. It didn’t sell near as well, so maybe they can be found cheaper used. And I doubt it would be too dissimilar. Maybe it wouldn’t be so distinct where if you use it on 7-8 tracks you wouldn’t hear this sorta buildup of frequencies in specific areas. Cause that aspect was the only reason i decided to let it go. I became tuned to its footprint that I started Hearing the preamp. Lol