Yamaha T-50 opinions

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Bubbastain

Yamaha T-50 opinions

Post by Bubbastain »

There is a Yamaha T50 head for sale locally for $500. I kinda remember some guys liking them and that they were designed by Mike Soldano. I have to admit I like the rack style format and the 50 watt power. Anyone have any experience with them? Are the reliable? Common problems with them? I saw some gut shots of one and there's a lot going on in there.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha T-50 opinions

Post by Guitarbilly »

I think they're cool amps. They're basically the Soldano Hot Rod circuit but with separate EQs for each channel and a switchable bright cap in the normal channel. They are usually considered reliable amps. Mike Soldano doesn't like them because he said Yamaha changed the transformer he had designed to a cheaper one and made some other cost cutting measures to it and in his opinion, ruined the tone of the amp. Mike prefers the original JCAs, which he says is how he envisioned a "budget" Soldano amp. And I'd agree the JCA is closer to the Soldano Hot Rod.
But honestly I think the Yamaha still sounds pretty good. :idk:

bleedingwhiskey

Post by bleedingwhiskey »

I had a stock T-100 and a modified T-50. The modifications were basically Mike's suggested mods to get it to what he liked. It made a difference, but I don't think necessarily made it better, just a bit different.

I think they are great sounding amps. A bit darker and smoother than other Soldano designs which can sound cool You can still tell it's the Soldano sound. The clean/normal channel can get a pretty decent clean and sounds great when you run the gain higher. Very vintage Marshall sounding. The overdrive channel is great. Both channels take OD/boost pedals very well. The reverb is meh. I remember that being one of Mike's issues when Yamaha changed his design.

The effects loop is the typical +4dB loop Mike uses, so it's very finicky with pedals. That was the reasons I sold each one when I had them separately.

A T-50 for $500 is a pretty good deal. I know I bought and sold mine for more than that and that was 20 years ago.

Bubbastain

Post by Bubbastain »

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards passing on it. Some good info though. I definitely like the grittier gain over the smoother. A loop that works with all my pedals is a must.

Yarbicus

Post by Yarbicus »

I might have a new amp incoming...

Bubbastain

Post by Bubbastain »

Yarbicus wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:34 am I might have a new amp incoming...
Do it. I thought about it but I know that I'm ultimately happiest with my VTM.

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic »

I remember those selling for around $300 15-20 years ago until people really started linking them to Mike Soldano.

I think Mike's biggest complaint was the bean counters at Yammy removing the choke in favor of a resistor (somewhat common practice). Cheap and easy fix for a tech (or yourself if you're so inclined).

Bill Leverty of Firehouse used them a lot in the early days. Never heard a bad tone from those amps based on the clips and vids online.