D’addarios

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Vladimir Putin

Re: D’addarios

Post by Vladimir Putin »

linthat22 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:21 pm Am I the only one that uses black fingernail polish to color the ball ends?
yes. yes you are.
Ukraine? Mykraine

andvari7

Post by andvari7 »

NYXLs are my go-to. From 2003-2016, I was DR foe life, but there was a bad run, and I bought a set of NYXLs that I liked a lot more than the DRs. I like the fact that they have a set specifically for Strandberg, which is what I play.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I've got a fresh shipment of hipster strings on the way! lolol
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

paul6string

Post by paul6string »

I started out on D'addario when I started playing in the 80's up until they stopped with the players points and went to the enviro friendly packaging. I switched to Ernie Ball for many years and never had a problem with my floyd rose equipped guitars. It was when I started acquiring Les Pauls that I began having issues with EB. The ball ends would unwind on the high e after a short period of time on all of my LP guitars(.009) Perhaps a few more winds could've solved that, but I began putting dabs of solder on the ball end windings of the b and e, and it solved that, but made changing strings more of a chore, so I've since switched back to D'addario and haven't had that problem. I'm not a fan of lumping several strings in one package though because the cats have a field day when I have to untangle them. I'm open to suggestions for other strings, but I'm not interested in coated wound strings because it doesn't do anything for the plain strings.

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein »

D'Addario 11's for me...every time, for every guitar.
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2023 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I like their 11-49 set on my H-157. That’s my E flat set.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

JCDenton6

Post by JCDenton6 »

I don't know, I've come around full circle to using D'Addario's again after trying so many other brands.
They just last the longest and maintain their tone and brightness for a while IMO.

I use the EXL120-7 for the Ormsby and the EXL110-7 on my LTD

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I don't like how bright D'addario are and typically prefer EB. I also like GHS and Dunlop, however I move around a lot and EB is available everywhere.

The exception is PRS. EB is way too dark on a PRS and I have to use the brightness of D'addario to balance it out. That D'addario is PRS factory string makes sense.

I've tried NYXL a few times and think they're a waste of money. On guitar they have an irritating frequency in the upper mids I don't like, and for me they don't last any longer than EXL.

colejustesen

Post by colejustesen »

I love me some D'Addarios! Solution to your problem get a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. I have also really come to enjoy Dunlop strings.

Cole

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

screamingdaisy wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:38 pm I don't like how bright D'addario are and typically prefer EB. I also like GHS and Dunlop, however I move around a lot and EB is available everywhere.

The exception is PRS. EB is way too dark on a PRS and I have to use the brightness of D'addario to balance it out. That D'addario is PRS factory string makes sense.

I've tried NYXL a few times and think they're a waste of money. On guitar they have an irritating frequency in the upper mids I don't like, and for me they don't last any longer than EXL.
I think you’re the first person to claim the NYXLs don’t last any longer than the regular Daddarios.

Mine last significantly longer than regular XLs. Not only do they retain their “new string” tone but they also handle more abuse compared to the XLs.

This has been pretty consistent among techs, and other players I’ve talked to.
Ukraine? Mykraine