Gigging musicians: how many of you have ACTUALLY downsized?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Gigging musicians: how many of you have ACTUALLY downsized?

Post by Guitarbilly »

I always hear about players downsizing to small amps, modeling etc, but playing hsrd rock original gigs around the DC/Baltimore area, I don't see it much. 90% of the hard rock/metal bands around here are still using regular sized amps or even half-stacks. I see some modeling but its not a lot even among younger bands. Maybe this is more prominent in the cover scene? I'm not sure.

So have you actually downsized your current live rig? From what to what?

I have to admit the last time I downsized my rig, it was in the 90s, when I went from a large rack to a head and 4x12 with pedals on the floor. Since then, things haven't changed much.

Although I just finished loading a 2x12 with V-Type Neo speakers and it sounds great so I may consider using that cab on some gigs. So that would be downsizing a little.

Marc G

Re: Gigging musicians: how many of you ACTUALLY downsized?

Post by Marc G »

I'm down to a 1x12 and just shrunk my pedalboard from a pedaltrain Novo 24 back to the Classic Jr. I still have my OS 2x12 for when the gig calls for it... but 9/10 times I'm using my 1x12 to play the small 100 person bars or house parties my band usually does... right now local bars are going for acoustic acts and the last one we played I went direct to board with a friend's Friedman IR-X and used IEMs and it was pretty good... can't lie... if more of those gigs start popping up I'll probably snag the new IR-D and build a small board...
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

I don't have any 4x12s anymore :idk: I have two combos that both get gigged but that isn't a "downsizing" thing, and I use a head and 2x12 90% of the time anyway

I don't see very many original bands (or most cover bands honestly) using modelers at all around here. The percentage of like modern metal bands using modellers is higher though. But for the most part people are using smaller tube combos at msot of the shows we're playing
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I went to a 2x12 in my last band, but I was still running a 100 watt Metropoulos so, kinda?
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

facefirst

Post by facefirst »

I used to do half stacks. Now I run an HX Stomp and Tonex. It’s sounds great and takes literally a minute to setup. I don’t miss hauling amps around.

jamminjohn

Post by jamminjohn »

I did last year and will stay the same this year.

Guitar > wireless> pedal board stereo out> 2 Katanas (50 watt 1x12) on stands side by side.

A small but very capable system with the GX-100 on the board.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Cover bands in my area are split between modelers and smaller combo amps.

A lot of the younger bands are using Line 6 and other bullshit poverty amps.

Original rock/alt bands down here are mostly using boutique gear these days, and the bar and grill bands are using run of the mill DSLs/Gibsons.

My last band I used the Jubilee 1/2 stack, and I tend to match my rig to the style of music.
Ukraine? Mykraine

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein »

I now use Marshall 1936 212 cabs with 50w heads instead of 100w heads through Marshall 1960 412 cabs. But I still have my 100w head and 1960 cab, I use them in rehearsal now. I'm using the 50w heads and 212 cabs for most gigs.

Because I was careful to get all pine build 1936 cabs instead of the MDF ones, and also careful with speaker selection, I have no loss of tone going from 1960 cabs to 1936.
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2023 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

macaronisalad

Re: Gigging musicians: how many of you have ACTUALLY downsized?

Post by macaronisalad »

I think the downsizing is moreso in the cover gigs where the sonics of it aren't as integral. If I were out playing originals I wouldn't compromise on my rig. I would want my vision to be in full.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Gigging musicians: how many of you have ACTUALLY downsized?

Post by Guitarbilly »

macaronisalad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:24 pm I think the downsizing is moreso in the cover gigs where the sonics of it aren't as integral. If I were out playing originals I wouldn't compromise on my rig. I would want my vision to be in full.
That's a good way to put it. I agree :)