Excellent vid comparing P90s and Humbuckers

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Excellent vid comparing P90s and Humbuckers

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Check it out...
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

greatmutah

Re: Excellent vid comparing P90s and Humbuckers

Post by greatmutah »

Pretty cool video! Yeah the P90 tone is closer to a PAF than most folks think. In most cases they are similar but I find P90s to be a little more rude and brash than a PAF. But a good PAF style pickup will sound close and vice versa. My P90 SG is a favorite for this reason.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah the original PAF purpose was to remove the noise of the P90s Gibson had been using, not change the sound. So they're pretty close, especially when played clean. Once players started to use distortion, the difference became more apparent and Gibson realized they were onto something and started to create humbuckers that emphasized the difference like the T Tops.
But the original PAF is very single coil like.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

P90s are my favorite pickup... it funny how many people think they can't do higher gain tones, which I think they excel at... as long as you don't need super tight tones.... so not the best for metal... but anything else with lots of gain is on the table... I just ordered a set of Fralin noiseless P90s for my SG Special.. the Gibson P90s are good, but the Fralins really take it to another level IMO
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote: