I had practice with a Quad Cortex yesterday

Discussions about the latest digital rigs: Modeling, IRs, DAWs, Plug-ins... even Synths and E-Drums! If has 100110111, it belongs here!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

I had practice with a Quad Cortex yesterday

Post by Guitarbilly »

My friend took his QC to our practice room so I could try it out again, he had dialed in a few Marshall patches and wanted to know my opinion.
I went straight into the PA for a few songs first. Honestly it wasn't bad at all. It sounded pretty good in the mix overall, although less heavy and present as the amp.
Then I asked him to set up an output without the cab emulation so I could put it through the fx of my Marshall. That sounded considerably better.

But overall it was a good experience. I think I like the QC better than the other modelers out there. The tone and texture is closer to analog than the other units I've tried but still not there IMHO. Through the amp fx return it's really close but at that point I'm using a 12AX7, 4 EL34s and a 4x12 so :idk:

thermionic geek

Re: I had practice with a Quad Cortex yesterday

Post by thermionic geek »

I want to try a QC but have not had the opportunity. The videos sound good. I have a Helix and an FM3 already and i don't see a need right now. I treat any modeler like an added preamp for my amp. I like the option of using it direct but have never had too. Using it in 4CM with a single channel amp gives me clean channels as well as other dirty preamps to play with,

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I had already tried this same unit a few months ago. My friend brought it back because he had done some kind of update and felt like he had dialed it in better. And it did sound better this time around. So the tech is definitely evolving (or my friend is getting better at dialing it :lol: 0.

One thing that was fascinating is he was explaining to me that we could plug both the guitar and bass into the same unit and have completely separate signal chains coming out of different outputs. And also switch tones together, for example if the guitar goes into a lead patch the bass can go into a patch with distortion and octave to fill up the sound. That's pretty incredible, honestly. I had no idea it could do that. I can see that being a major advantage for a traveling band.

It's cool. I appreciate this type of stuff. That is some pretty serious programming involved in creating stuff like this. So I respect it. But ultimately, I still think it's not for me.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:45 pm I had already tried this same unit a few months ago. My friend brought it back because he had done some kind of update and felt like he had dialed it in better. And it did sound better this time around. So the tech is definitely evolving (or my friend is getting better at dialing it :lol: 0.

One thing that was fascinating is he was explaining to me that we could plug both the guitar and bass into the same unit and have completely separate signal chains coming out of different outputs. And also switch tones together, for example if the guitar goes into a lead patch the bass can go into a patch with distortion and octave to fill up the sound. That's pretty incredible, honestly. I had no idea it could do that. I can see that being a major advantage for a traveling band.

It's cool. I appreciate this type of stuff. That is some pretty serious programming involved in creating stuff like this. So I respect it. But ultimately, I still think it's not for me.
I've seen a few ultra techy prog metal bands go down that route with one QC covering litteraly everything. One band didn't even have a drummer, it was all programmed. Just guitar, bass and vox. I think the laptop or whatever was playing the drum tracks was switching the QC too :lol: It sounded pretty polshed to be fair, then again you'd hope so if you can essentially send studio polished drums out to FOH with everything else notched into place. It looks odd on stage though.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

It's intriguing for sure. It's hard to make the digital stuff sit well with drums IMHO but I think once you go to e-drums, this stuff gets a lot more attractive.

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

But Billy, one question I have for you is did it move air? I think you've mentioned that before (and some other forumites) regarding an issue with modelers in general. Did your friend do anything other than updating the unit?

I'm just curious if we're at the point where some modelers can move air?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

linthat22 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:53 pm But Billy, one question I have for you is did it move air? I think you've mentioned that before (and some other forumites) regarding an issue with modelers in general. Did your friend do anything other than updating the unit?

Well yeah that's the real issue. And I think the answer is "yes but not really". If you plug it into the FX loop of the Marshall and the 4x12, at first it sounds like it's going to move air just like the amp. But when the band kicks in, it doesn't. You can hear it fine, it's loud, but it doesn't hold up to the rest of the mix.

That's my main problem with modeling and the only solution I've found so far is to put the whole band in digital gear including the drums.

I don't know if my friend is using the latest update or whatnot, he probably is since he's into modeling and keeps up with it. It sounded really good for what it is but IMHO the modeling limitations are still there.

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:07 pm
linthat22 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:53 pm But Billy, one question I have for you is did it move air? I think you've mentioned that before (and some other forumites) regarding an issue with modelers in general. Did your friend do anything other than updating the unit?

Well yeah that's the real issue. And I think the answer is "yes but not really". If you plug it into the FX loop of the Marshall and the 4x12, at first it sounds like it's going to move air just like the amp. But when the band kicks in, it doesn't. You can hear it fine, it's loud, but it doesn't hold up to the rest of the mix.

That's my main problem with modeling and the only solution I've found so far is to put the whole band in digital gear including the drums.

I don't know if my friend is using the latest update or whatnot, he probably is since he's into modeling and keeps up with it. It sounded really good for what it is but IMHO the modeling limitations are still there.
Man, this is interesting. I think when I finally get my "room" back, I'm going to toy around with my regular stuff and compare to the QC. Thank you for the explanation Billy :thu: