When is the last time you broke a string playing LIVE

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Marc G

Re: When is the last time you broke a string playing LIVE

Post by Marc G »

I really can't remember.... the worst I have had happen to me is a guitar refusing to stay in tune..... I've busted a bass string a couple times at gigs lol.... but I don't think I've ever have had a string break while playing guitar at a gig... I've had more stings break on me doing string changes than gigs TBH
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

diddlybo

Post by diddlybo »

I think it was 2004. I've probably only done it twice in my lifetime.

facefirst

Post by facefirst »

I do it every three shows in my wedding/ private event band. I play 9s in that band. In my pop punk tribute I play 11s and it never happens.

trey85stang2

Post by trey85stang2 »

I haven’t legitimately broken a string in like 20 years. The last string I recall breaking was a defect. I haven’t played live in like 10 years though but never broke one. I changed strings weekly back in the day and monthly or so these days.

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic »

The ONLY time I have ever broken a string live, was coincindentally the ONE time I did not bring a backup guitar. This was probably 2012 or 2013, so about 4 years or so before I dropped out of the band scene.

I will say, that early on in my playing years I was breaking strings often. Like once every few weeks it seemed. I changed my picking angle quite a bit, and now it's a rare occurance to break a string unless it's super old and I'm too lazy to change them.

screamingdaisy

Post by screamingdaisy »

I honestly don't remember the last time I broke a string, although I believe its been over 10 or 15 years.

I used to break them regularly when I was younger. A combination of using a Floyd Rose and not being able to afford strings meant I would reuse them as long as I could get away with it.

I think that once I could start to afford better guitars (with better saddles) and started changing strings regularly my string issues went away.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Back in 2016 before I moved to NYXLs and fixed my technique.

VTM

Post by VTM »

It was either 2006 or 2007. It was a two night gig and the only time I didn't change strings before night two. Made it three songs in.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

I’ve broken at least 5 this year. I think we played 20 shows. So about 25% of the time!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:53 am I’ve broken at least 5 this year. I think we played 20 shows. So about 25% of the time!
Yo! Glad you rejoined forum 2.0!!