Horizon Precision Drive

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Horizon Precision Drive

Post by Guitarbilly »

I've been curious about this pedal because I like the idea of having am overdrive with a built-in gate. But every clip I found of it were modern metal clips, which don't give me much of an idea of how it would work for me.
Does anyone here use this pedal as a lead boost in a rock context?
It seem like it's based on the TS circuit, so in theory, it should work. What do guys think?

FAKA!

Re: Horizon Precision Drive

Post by FAKA! »

I know it had a lot of attention at one point but seemed like a djent thing... if anything I am turned off by the modern-ness of it

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

It is an 808 with a few component values changed (most notably lower minimum gain and lower value tone pot) and a bunch of caps on a switch to dial in the lows. I assume the gate tracks the clean guitar signal and mutes the OD output. That's how I used to run an OD808 and NS2 using the S+R jacks. That worked good compared to the old Decimator with no loop.

I'd get the $50 Demon FX clone.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

JSutter wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:52 pm It is an 808 with a few component values changed (most notably lower minimum gain and lower value tone pot) and a bunch of caps on a switch to dial in the lows. I assume the gate tracks the clean guitar signal and mutes the OD output. That's how I used to run an OD808 and NS2 using the S+R jacks. That worked good compared to the old Decimator with no loop.

I'd get the $50 Demon FX clone.
Yeah that's what I thought. If it's an 808 circuit, it should work well with the Marshall.

I didn't know there was a $50 clone :eek: I'll look into it now.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

I didn't like the Precision Drive that I had. Sounded too modern or something for me. This was a few years ago when I was blowing through every boost/OD I could get my hands on looking for something better than a SD1, TS9, or original Koko. Those three are still here and will be staying. No gas for OD's for a about a year now.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah I've been using the SD-1 or a Way Huge Green Rhino and they sound great but I've been curious about the Precision Drive. It's hard to tell from the djent clips though.
I think I'll get the $50 copy and give it a shot so its no big dealif I end up not liking it :lol:

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

If you want the real deal, I’ll sell mine! Hah.

I think it’ll work for you. The attack switch gives plenty of play. It can actually get really fat on the “lowest” setting. And then basically get into standard 808 style sound and then obviously the higher settings are where the djent or downtuned players might try and go. I like it, just don’t use it anymore

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:15 pm If you want the real deal, I’ll sell mine! Hah.

I think it’ll work for you. The attack switch gives plenty of play. It can actually get really fat on the “lowest” setting. And then basically get into standard 808 style sound and then obviously the higher settings are where the djent or downtuned players might try and go. I like it, just don’t use it anymore
I might take you up on it. I ordered the $50 Amazon clone :lol: if I like it well enough I'll send it back to Amazon and buy yours, since if I'm going to put it on my boars, I want the real deal just for peace of mind. I'm not gigging with no Amazon pedal.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I got the DemonFX clone on Saturday, right before my show. Decided to be bold and mounted on my gig board and dialed the pedal in 5 minutes during soundcheck. The pedal sounded good overall. The gate is awesome. But I don't think it will be replacing my SD-1 or my Green Rhino, since the Precision sounds brighter and thinner than both of them. I think it would be a great boost for a Recto or a Bogner or other amps with a thicker, darker tone. With Marshalls, it's a bit too bright. Still, I will be keeping it as another boost option.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Hmm. And it’s not because I want to sell mine. But within its settings, especially in the first “2” clicks on the attack settings of the precision drive I def would not consider that brighter than an SD1. Especially the first one. I find that far too fat tbh. But I have seen this pedal mentioned as an accurate copy of the Precision. But overall the SD1 is brighter and more aggressive within the first 2 attack settings in my experience