NAD: Peavey 5150 Script Logo

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
greatmutah

NAD: Peavey 5150 Script Logo

Post by greatmutah »

I knew I wouldn’t be happy with anything else. I returned the 50 watt yesterday. I did give the amp a week but just too bright and too compressed. I went to GC and they had this guy in stock. It’s ugly. It’s been gigged and used. I’m gonna do something about the faceplate eventually. Needs some rubber feet. But… it’s the sound. It is THE FUCKING SOUND. I AB’ed it against the new Iconic through a good cab (Orange PPC212). Let me say I was a bit unfair against the Iconic. It can be dialed close. But it’s not the same. I haven’t had one of these in 13 years. But I got it home and it delivered. SD-1 boosting it and it’s awesome. Could dial the highs exactly how I want them and the low mids don’t have anything weird going on. Btw, I may need a 3D printer file for the new Dave emblem. I think this amp should be the inaugural one hahaha. Oh and it’s quiet, pots are good, no bad jacks nothing. Just a road warrior amp. Loves my 1960A with Greenbacks. Just gotta watch volume and not push those too hard.

More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: NAD: Peavey 5150 Script Logo

Post by Guitarbilly »

Hahahaha yes do the Dave logo :lol:

I need to buy one of these amps. Aside from Marshalls they're the amps I get along with best. Either the OG, II or the 5153 50w would work. I think purely for tone, I prefer the OG over the others. But the III 50w is the most practical of them.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Oh the 50 watt is the most practical for sure. It just wasn’t the tone I wanted. It could get kinda close and you could hear the smilies dna of the amp but it wasn’t the same.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Hell yeah, and definitely use the Dave logo :lol:

The OG 5150 is far better than the new iconic. I’ve heard that amp live a few times and it just doesn’t do it for me.
Ukraine? Mykraine

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Nice!! Glad you found the right pocket of the 5150 family for yoh !
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

maggotspawn

Post by maggotspawn »

Nice score. Congrats.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

So a couple things. This thing sounds awesome. Ugly as sin but awesome. I think I’m in my amp endgame now. I honestly think the only other thing I really want at this stage in my life is some kind of SLO which is definitely going to be a few years out before I purchase one. The Peavey was cheap enough to do before real life came up (I’m also replacing my whole driveway this week). And it sounds exactly how I want it to sound. I never had one of these with Greenbacks or even Sheffields. It’s always been V30s in the past. With the Greenbacks, I hear more of the VH balance type tones than I’ve ever heard from this amp. It’s kind of amazing to me. I can’t play like Ed to save my life but hearing a semblance of that sound is crazy good. So in the spirit of being a fanboy… I think I want to grab an Eventide unit for this thing. Either the H9 or H90. I probably won’t use it for much else, but it’s something I think would be awesome to have.

On the whole I’m super happy with this amp. I got some good volume time with it today and it’s been great. No disrespect towards the 5153 that I briefly had but I think I just prefer the Peaveys for this kind of amp.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I'm going to be participating in a little local "Tone Fest" in the next couple weeks and one of the guys is gonna bring a couple 5150s. I'll be putting my Eventide Micropitch into a case to dial in those EVH tones, along with my GB cab.

Its been too long since I played a Peavey Fiddy.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.

zozobra

Post by zozobra »

Dickhammer badge

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

No rubber feet? Is there some sort of screw there? Cause Almost all PVs and definitely those, use the feet screws as the chassis screws. I mean, I imagine you’d hear sumthin flopping around a bit. But also those chassis fit pretty tight in that headshell that it’s possible it’s simply sitting in there loose. Just sumthin to check on