Almost sold my Ultra Plus - came to my senses.

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Re: Almost sold my Ultra Plus - came to my senses.

Post by Endtime »

My 2 cents having owned and used a XXX since idk 2004
Seems about right. And having recently borrowed an Ultra Plus from a buddy. I have heard like most on the internet it’s “the best one”. And With plenty of A/B to my XXX I could get my XXX 90% the same. The xxx has a certain smoothness in the mids the Ultra Plus doesn’t quite have. I’d say that mids tweak is what makes the XXX more unique whereas the Ultra Plus had more of the grit in the mids of most PVs.
I will say even tho I said I can match the XXX to the Ultra almost all the way, it almost didn’t work in reverse as much! Meaning I couldn’t really find that same ability to dial in the Ultra to the XXX… I basically would dial in the Ultra to how I liked it and I could basically match it with the xxx. But when I dialed in the XXX how I liked it, it wasn’t able to get as close..

Obviously the lack of any sort of medium gain on the xxx is gonna lose it some points compared to the Ultra plus which can at least get a little less than max gain. Lol… but for me, the hype of the Ultra plus didn’t beat out the XXX..

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Endtime wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 am My 2 cents having owned and used a XXX since idk 2004
Seems about right. And having recently borrowed an Ultra Plus from a buddy. I have heard like most on the internet it’s “the best one”. And With plenty of A/B to my XXX I could get my XXX 90% the same. The xxx has a certain smoothness in the mids the Ultra Plus doesn’t quite have. I’d say that mids tweak is what makes the XXX more unique whereas the Ultra Plus had more of the grit in the mids of most PVs.
I will say even tho I said I can match the XXX to the Ultra almost all the way, it almost didn’t work in reverse as much! Meaning I couldn’t really find that same ability to dial in the Ultra to the XXX… I basically would dial in the Ultra to how I liked it and I could basically match it with the xxx. But when I dialed in the XXX how I liked it, it wasn’t able to get as close..

Obviously the lack of any sort of medium gain on the xxx is gonna lose it some points compared to the Ultra plus which can at least get a little less than max gain. Lol… but for me, the hype of the Ultra plus didn’t beat out the XXX..
Yeah I guess it depends of what you are trying to get from them. I do use a lot less gain than most metal players and after owning all 3 (JSX too) the Ultra Plus was the best one for me. But to be honest, I never even tried to get metal tones out of any of them since it's not my thing. So yeah, different applications for sure.

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

The whole line up is a variation on the model before. They each have strengths and weakness. Just collect them all. DON"T SELL! I could have quit amp chasing over a decade ago. I'd like to get an Ultra 112 and convert it to a head.