Tonex

Discussions about the latest digital rigs: Modeling, IRs, DAWs, Plug-ins... even Synths and E-Drums! If has 100110111, it belongs here!
Maddnotez

Tonex

Post by Maddnotez »

Heard some profiles today that sound killer, namely the Evil Pumpkin and Dirftwood Nightmare.

These are available for all the typical options, Kemper, Quad, Tonex, etc. Just have a few questions....

I'm heavily leaning toward buying the Tonex Max software on its own. It's on sale for $99 and should be all I need to record at home. But am I missing out if I don't buy one of the pedals?

If I do get a pedal is there anything else out there better than the Tonex in the same price range? Poverty.

ElDirtySanchez

Re: Tonex

Post by ElDirtySanchez »

I haven't tried the Tonex software, but have you tried NAM? Its free and through Tone Hunt you can download profiles for amps, full rigs, ir's and pedals, all free. Some better than others.

https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/users
https://tonehunt.org/
Formerly Rock Flag and Eagle

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

ElDirtySanchez wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:06 pm I haven't tried the Tonex software, but have you tried NAM? Its free and through Tone Hunt you can download profiles for amps, full rigs, ir's and pedals, all free. Some better than others.

https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/users
https://tonehunt.org/
I'll check it out thanks.

Funny thing though, I forgot I suck at recording.

Tonex also has a free version with limited amps but you can at least hear a ton.....and well they're not much better than the VSTs I'm using....I think it was a case of damn, I heard this demo from a guy who can record like a pro and it sounds killer without remembering my tracks aren't going to sound like that.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I had one, briefly. Sounded really good, as far as digital goes. The profiles sounded better than the Kemper I had. Even the stock 800 and SLO profiles were good. I usually don't keep this type of gear too long though. But still, I had no real complaints about it. If I was going to use a digital rig, that would've been a good contender.
The disadvantage over other modeler is you have to add extra effects etc and there is no loop so you add it post everything. Kind of like in a studio console. Which is no problem, but idk.. if I'd go with a modeler I'd want something that does everything in one unit, that's kind of the point of this type of rig... .
On the plus side, it does take pedals like an amp. So it could be easy to integrate it to an existing board.

EDIT: just re-read it and this thread is about the software, not the pedal :facepalm: Sorry hahaha :lol:

Landshark

Post by Landshark »

Maddnotez wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:47 pm
I'm heavily leaning toward buying the Tonex Max software on its own. It's on sale for $99 and should be all I need to record at home. But am I missing out if I don't buy one of the pedals?

If I do get a pedal is there anything else out there better than the Tonex in the same price range? Poverty.
as far as i know, you only need the pedal for playing live.

the factory IK amp captures are not that great. the decision to make is how many tones you want to download - the free version gets you 20 user downloads, Max gets you unlimited.

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Landshark wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:12 am
Maddnotez wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:47 pm

as far as i know, you only need the pedal for playing live.

the factory IK amp captures are not that great. the decision to make is how many tones you want to download - the free version gets you 20 user downloads, Max gets you unlimited.
Yeah, I quickly realized the demo I watched is not the results I'm going to get lol.

Need to learn the program more to decide but so far it's not sounding much better, maybe a little.

Here is the regular Bulldog VST I use

And here is the Tonex using their Stock SLO/5150 and whatever bass pedal they have