Mirror mirror on da wall…

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Endtime

Mirror mirror on da wall…

Post by Endtime »

What’s the most brutal tone of …. These 2. Lol

So I used to play in a pretty damn brutal band. Extreme for sure. The band extreme of course. But point isn’t in WoRld of Shit which has always been my death metal band, I tried to keep the brutality down from what I used to do in that other band. But I realized it’s sorta playing it safe, when I have no reason to do so anymore!

So I’ve really been dialing up some more extreme ideas and songs and of course need the tone to get where I wanted.

So I used to have my EVH speakers mixed with these creambacks in a cab. The cab sounded good but the Evh spkr were just so much bigger and I just felt like I wanted a cab with all Evh speakers since they do a great job of scooping some mods which the 5153 el34 100 has plenty of.. so that cab is all Evh spkr. In the room?? Sounds great too! So good move swapping em.

And I built a cab which I’m happy with but was thinking some different speakers might be good and that cab just resonates nice and I figured since I always thought those creambacks were a little lean in the lows, it would be a good cab to pair em with. And THAT worked out great too!! So 2 different cabs, now, but here’s a comparison between the Evh (which I literally just bought so they are brand new) and some of the 65 watt Creambacks in the cab I built.. I really didn’t spend any time, just mic’d the general sweet spot and went with it

Creambacks
https://app.box.com/s/lii38r6u15k0wrbcfzkz9coyirn90rlp

Evh speakers 16 ohm

https://app.box.com/s/9tnds23hynr0x9lkpmupcs4fiojyfltp

eyeball987

Re: Mirror mirror on da wall…

Post by eyeball987 »

Well then. I can't play any of that, and tend to stay in the more groove oriented type of heavy stuff lane. I love my EVH 4X12 so I am going to go with that one. On a second listen though, through my garbage earbuds that came free with my phone, the Creambacks might sound a little bit better? With these earbuds it could go either way.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I don't know which one is more brutal, I think it's a tie on that criteria. :lol: But I liked the Creambacks better, which is funny because I went in fully expecting to like EVHs better. And I did like them, but the Creambacks sounded a little more "together" in this clip. Less lows and highs, a bit more mids, it just sat better in the mix for me.
Both are cool though, not a bad tone anywhere in these clips.

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

eyeball987 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:58 pm Well then. I can't play any of that, and tend to stay in the more groove oriented type of heavy stuff lane. I love my EVH 4X12 so I am going to go with that one. On a second listen though, through my garbage earbuds that came free with my phone, the Creambacks might sound a little bit better? With these earbuds it could go either way.
I really wanted the Evh cab, but nothing has shown up in years and I have four 4x12s. So I clearly don’t need another! And I had 2 of the speakers, and now have all 4. But I really feel I’m still missing sumthin cause cabs matter and I put the Evh Celestions in the Peavey 5150 cab. Which my particular one is honestly a great sounding cab. Even with the stock Sheffield’s! So I’m sure it’s close but it’s also a slant and a straight Evh is definitely my preference but hasn’t happened yet
Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:56 pm I don't know which one is more brutal, I think it's a tie on that criteria. :lol: But I liked the Creambacks better, which is funny because I went in fully expecting to like EVHs better. And I did like them, but the Creambacks sounded a little more "together" in this clip. Less lows and highs, a bit more mids, it just sat better in the mix for me.
Both are cool though, not a bad tone anywhere in these clips.
Yep that’s basically exactly how the Creamback is It actually was always a touch too dark in my other cab, but it seems a little brighter in this one with a bit fatter chunk. But they are a sorta mid heavy speaker but they really made that mid forward sound as “pleasing” as possible. It’s not geared towards hi or low mids but just a real broad/wide mid voicing. It makes a great lead playing speaker for sure. I usually mix those for my solos

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I like the Creambacks better here. I had a 75 watt version at some point in my Vader cab, and it was good but not really what I was looking for.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Idk man I don’t think one is more brutal than the other both max brutal :lol:

I prefer the cream backs though. I’d love to get my hands on some, but at the same time I’ve tried a bunch of cream back IRs and haven’t really liked any of them with my finger tone/gear so maybe they aren’t for me :idk:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

im not sure which id describe as more brutal either, people have different definitions of what brutal is which i understand, but i do like the creamback more

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

The only difference that I could hear was at 00:11 sec when you hit the single note with the vibrato... the note on the Creambacks sounds a bit brighter than the EV's.
Of course, at 64, my ears are shot so, the brighter Creambacks sound better to me.

The Creambacks may be distorting a bit earlier, giving the extra brutz?
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd