NAD: Peavey 5150 Script Logo

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
FAKA!

Re: NAD: Peavey 5150 Script Logo

Post by FAKA! »

Nice! I have still yet to actually try an og 5150, only the EVH versions... one day!

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:51 am I think Fender MIM in general is really good these days. Whether is the EVH guitars and amps or Charvel or the Fender Player series etc. They make good instruments

The Fender US factory in Corona and the Mexican Ensenada factory are only a 3hr drive away from each other, so there is a lot of crosstalk between the two factories. It's a very different setup than an overseas Asian factory where things get QCd by the US brand only after they're shipped here.
Despite the fact that there is a border between them, the 2 factories are pretty much "local" to each other. I actually visited both factories on the same day in 06 when I was still at L6.
Yeah my MIM Charvel So Cal is fantastic. It’s one of my go to players. I reach for it just as much if not more than my USA Charvels. It’s that good. I also modded the shit out of the electronics to make it HSS. But it’s a fantastic hot rod rock guitar. Plays like a dream too.

Funny thing… when I was at Motor City trying out the EVH amps, I reached for one of the new Lime Green San Dimas guitars with the ebony board. Fucking awesome guitar. Neck feels just like my So Cal so their consistency seems to be solid.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:51 am I think Fender MIM in general is really good these days. Whether is the EVH guitars and amps or Charvel or the Fender Player series etc. They make good instruments

The Fender US factory in Corona and the Mexican Ensenada factory are only a 3hr drive away from each other, so there is a lot of crosstalk between the two factories. It's a very different setup than an overseas Asian factory where things get QCd by the US brand only after they're shipped here.
Despite the fact that there is a border between them, the 2 factories are pretty much "local" to each other. I actually visited both factories on the same day in 06 when I was still at L6.
Agreed. It also helps that Fender has upped the specs and tolerances on their MIM factory.

I had the MIM Charvel and EVH at the same time. Both excellent guitars.
Ukraine? Mykraine

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:26 pm

Agreed. It also helps that Fender has upped the specs and tolerances on their MIM factory.

I had the MIM Charvel and EVH at the same time. Both excellent guitars.
Hence why I’m looking at the EVH Wolfies. They’re at least worth a look for me. Either that or one of the 5150 series guitars based off the Kramer era stuff. Not gonna lie those have gotten cooler to me over the years. Top mounted Floyd too.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

I need to spend more time with a Wolfgang. The issue that I have had up to this point is the neck width. I like the LP / Charvel wider spacing. Wolfie's feel cramped in cowboy chord area to me. Probably because I am just so used to the wider spacing.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

eyeball987 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:03 pm I need to spend more time with a Wolfgang. The issue that I have had up to this point is the neck width. I like the LP / Charvel wider spacing. Wolfie's feel cramped in cowboy chord area to me. Probably because I am just so used to the wider spacing.
I noticed the neck width with the Wolfgang when I had one, but I adapted to it fairly quickly. The neck is very comfortable once you get past the width issue so I think it's just a matter of spending some time with it.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I think most of us agree that the Wolfgang, Axis and HP Special all have SUPER COMFORTABLE necks.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

One of the most comfortable necks I've experienced
Ukraine? Mykraine

Endtime

Post by Endtime »

Since it’s a Wolfgang thread. Neck is very comfy, but I have bigger, fatter hands!!. Not a fat guy at all! Lol. I believe it’s from almost 30yo are of contractor work and using my hands. Cause I used to have the long ass skinny guitar playing fingers. Now I look like the rock dude in Neverending Story. “They look like such strong hands, don’t they??” Haha

Anyway, I love the comfort of these necks, but no doubt that 1&5/8s nut and spacing cramps my style. I have since made my BEST adaptation of the Wolfie neck into the 1 11/16ths width and using the Floyd R10 nut which is the 15 radius. I hitch is what the OG PV Wolfgang was a 15. As well as my HP Special. Which THAT guitar is simply my favorite for comfort and everything else. I love the Wolfie’s for a few reasons but the I can do more acrobatics on the HP Special. Very similar neck. It’s fatter but thinner width like the old PV Wolfgang. The Evh wolf has a much thinner neck, especially on the lower frets. Still super comfy. But for the 1 5/8ths I like the fatter thickness In the lower region too….

Anyway my “personalized” Wolfie with the wider nut and spacing is easily the one I feel I play cleanest on. It definitely changes the feel and we are just talking a 1/16th of an inch. Even just upsizing the EXACT neck profile which I can do damn well, it feels WAY fatter so I went back and forth to sculpt a proper wider neck with the same feel. I sincerely think I did that. So it’s still super comfy and I can easily switch between the 2. But the spacing will always add a different feel.

I guess what I’m saying is, that neck IS how it is because of all the specs and size. It’s crazy how just a little change alters it, but again, I got em feeling super close. We’ll see how I feel after a few more months if I decide to build em for the other Wolfgangs.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

Got some rubber feet. Peavey includes mounting screws but they’re not long enough to reach the chassis. #8 wood screws with a 1 and 1/2 inch length is what they use. I actually bought some 8-32 machine screws and those are great too.

Also, I’m looking into some replacement amp badges via Etsy but I’m sorely tempted to at least do a sticker of the Peavey logo and take a paint marker to it to make the Dave logo.
—————
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Peavey 5150
—————