NGD - First New Gibson

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
cliffenstein

NGD - First New Gibson

Post by cliffenstein »

I have never, EVER bought a brand new Gibson before...always used.

My wife and I went to go see Bad Religion and Social Distortion a couple Fridays ago. I had just sold my Limited Edition Les Paul Junior (those are the ones with the pre-war acoustic Gibson logos on them). Even though it sounded, played, and recorded wonderfully, at 8 lbs 10 oz it just seemed heavy for a Junior. Brian Baker from BR was playing his 1955 Junior so the idea of getting another classic looking Junior had been rolling around my head since then.

I was roaming around Sweetwater late last Saturday night when I happened upon a regular production (original collection) Les Paul Junior with a listed weight of just 6 lbs 10 oz. Woah...that's vintage or custom shop weight! It also had a wonderfully dark fretboard. Sweetwater customer service wouldn't be open again til Monday, but the guitar was in 3 other carts. Not wanting to lose out on an under 7 lb modern regular production junior, I went ahead and paid full retail ($1599 + tax). I did call Sweetwater first thing Monday morning to see if they could shave a little off the price, but since the guitar had already shipped, they were only willing to give me a bit of store credit, which of course I took.

Because of the pickup placement on the ltd edition and original collection juniors, I think of them as '54-'56 Juniors, so I decided to deck this one out accordingly (with a few modern accoutrements). So after I put my order in, I purchased some nickel Dunlop strap locks, a set of drop-in vintage style Gotoh locking turners, conversion bushings, a historic spec single ply truss rod cover, and because Juniors made in 1954 and 1955 came stock with gold speed knobs, I ordered a couple historic spec ones (embossed numbers...not painted), as well as two thumb bleeders. Finally, I ordered a Mojoaxe compensated wraparound bridge for historic reissues (which, thankfully work properly on original collection juniors as well).

Anyway...the guitar and parts arrived and I immediately put it all together. Then I handed it off to my tech for a few final adjustments. I got it back, dialed in the dogear p90 to my liking and I was off and running. Used it at a gig last night and am already markin' up the body.

GWW Case with the big latches and I finally have a proper Gibson truss rod tool!

NOTE: this guitar was made on Valentines Day and inspected on March 12th.

PICS:

Last edited by cliffenstein on Thu May 16, 2024 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2024 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

RaceU4her

Re: NGD - First New Gibson

Post by RaceU4her »

Nice, congrats

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

That is probably going to be my next guitar. Or a Special. I miss having a P90 guitar.

Ryandistortion

Post by Ryandistortion »

Nice, man! For a very stripped down guitar, you really maxed the potential. Well done.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Hell yeah, that looks killer
Ukraine? Mykraine

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 pm Hell yeah, that looks killer
Do you think it would sound good through the SLO30? I'm not sure how you feel about that amp.

Marc G

Post by Marc G »

HNGD!!!! Jrs and Specials are fun guitars... I love my special... how are the Gotoh locking tuners? I was thinking about upgrading mine
I can't remember what my signature was..... I'm sure it was something interesting..... :quote:

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I love P90s and I love LP Juniors and Specials. Fantastic guitar man! HNGD!
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Congrats!! That thing is awesome!
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | ENGL Thunder | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 | Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

bonano

Post by bonano »

Damn, dude . . . I'm jelly.