I'm all aboard the Fishman train

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
VTM

Re: I'm all aboard the Fishman train

Post by VTM »

Scribble straps are for kids.

FAKA!

Post by FAKA! »

I feel like im the only dude thats still never tried Fishmans lol.. Nice geetars btw!

JSutter

Post by JSutter »

I was skeptical at first. A few bands I like used EMG for years and switched. I'm not sure how much is tone chasing or sales pitch.

A few years ago I traded for an Ibanez with moderns. Soon after, I swapped out the cheap actives in my Schecter 7. I don't quite like them as much as something like a JB or using an overdrive. I like them better than the EMGs I have or have had. Either way not for everyone.

The way they are constructed is genius. No coils, just PCBs stacked up. The extra wiring options is a nice touch.

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

FAKA! wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:53 am I feel like im the only dude thats still never tried Fishmans lol.. Nice geetars btw!
Thanks! You should try them. Despite some people :wank: not liking them, they are pretty awesome. The Classics/Classic Open Core seem to be the ones most people like, with the Moderns being a love or absolutely hate kind of thing. Like I said, I've only tried the classics, but that's because they are pretty much perfect so I have no desire to try the other ones haha.
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black
LTD EC-1000T CTM Violet Shadow
Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Zeegler wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:34 pm But yeah in all seriousness, the wires are thin and feel really flimsy. I'm not sure I trust the plastic lugs on the sides of the pickups either, but I guess EMGs are the same.
I swapped a few pickups this week, and wires on Dimarzios and Duncans feel equally flimsy and cheap as the Fishman wires to me. One little slip, and you're clipping through wires, it feels like. For plastic lugs, are you talking about the inserts that the screws go into? Those are metal, just like EMG does it.

Not that I am here to defend Fishman or anything, but despite me not really being into them, the quality doesn't seem bad in any way compared to anything else out there.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

Zeegler

Post by Zeegler »

ninjaraf wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:25 pm
Zeegler wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:34 pm But yeah in all seriousness, the wires are thin and feel really flimsy. I'm not sure I trust the plastic lugs on the sides of the pickups either, but I guess EMGs are the same.
I swapped a few pickups this week, and wires on Dimarzios and Duncans feel equally flimsy and cheap as the Fishman wires to me. One little slip, and you're clipping through wires, it feels like. For plastic lugs, are you talking about the inserts that the screws go into? Those are metal, just like EMG does it.

Not that I am here to defend Fishman or anything, but despite me not really being into them, the quality doesn't seem bad in any way compared to anything else out there.
Oh I'm just griping about nothing. The lugs are the little plastic ears that the little brass inserts are embedded in. I've actually never broken one myself, but I have seen an EMG with one of the ears snapped off. My disdain for these things is more to do with my preference for simplicity. I like tube amps with knobs. I don't like modelers and multi-effects units that require scrolling through menus.

linthat22

Post by linthat22 »

FAKA! wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:53 am I feel like im the only dude thats still never tried Fishmans lol.. Nice geetars btw!
You're not alone. I wouldn't mind trying them, but I'm too lazy to install them in my guitars. I have enjoyed many player's tones that use them :thu:

FAKA!

Post by FAKA! »

linthat22 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:17 pm I'm too lazy to install them in my guitars.
My man! :cool: