NAD and let's talk tubes

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

NAD and let's talk tubes

Post by Guitarbilly »

So a few weeks ago I took some pedals to Atomic Music. They offered me around $285 for them.

I saw a PRS MT15 and asked them if they would trade it for the pedals and they did.

Really cool amp, I really liked it. BUT!!! Last weekend I saw on my local CL an ad for a Peavey 6505+ for sale or trade. The guy was saying he wanted to downsize. So I offered it the MT15 and he accepted it!!

So long story short, I got a 6505+ for $285 worth of pedals!!! I'll post a picture late but we all know what it looks like.

Anyway, it's not all great because when I took the amp to practice it was clear that the tubes were shot. The amp sounded a lot quieter than a regular 6505+ and lacked punch and balls.

So I returned it today and it sounds good now. The punch is back, volume is normal etc

But I am looking for some tube recommendations for this amp. For the power amp, I'm using JJs and I think they sound good.

For the preamp, Ifound a tube layout online but it doesn't say what each tube does:

So what does each tube do and what are some good tubes for each position. Right now I have JJs across the board except for a EHX in V1.

greatmutah

Re: NAD and let's talk tubes

Post by greatmutah »

I’m one of the folks that thinks the 5160/6505s don’t need much outside of JJs but a Tung Sol, EHX or other Russian tube in V1 is a solid bet. V4 should be your PI, maybe LPS there? V6 is primarily for the clean/crunch channel. I THINK V5 is your cathode follower and V3 is your loop.

Also JJ power tubes just work with this amp. Toss em in and forget about em. And congrats! The OG 5150/6505 is one of my all time favorite high gain amps but I do love me some 5150II/6505+ action.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

Yeah, I would personally just go all JJs, if you already have them. I always found EHX tubes to add some harshness that I didn't like in these amps. If you want new power amp tubes, Sovtek 6l6wxt is THE power tube for this amp (outside of winged C, but fuck that). But yeah, preamp, I would just go all JJ. I don't know what the slots do. I've owned probably 8 of these amps over the years and never learned what the tube slots were lolol.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

What’s funny is with Rectos, Marshalls and plenty of other amps I’ve done the tube rolling thing. With a 5150? Fuck no just give me some JJs. I know that shit works :lol:

I should try some 6L6WXT+s sometime. Aren’t they more or less the same tube as the 6L6EH? I know with new sensor some brands/types are ithe same just rebadged.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

Here's a link to the schematic. The preamp tubes are stung together in an interesting way. It's late but, I'm going to have a closer look at this tomorrow....
Here's the link....
https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetub ... ematic.pdf
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:24 am Here's a link to the schematic. The preamp tubes are stung together in an interesting way. It's late but, I'm going to have a closer look at this tomorrow....
Here's the link....
Thanks man!!! This is for the 112 combo though. Not sure if the head is the same since they're very different amps. Could be, idk.

bonano

Post by bonano »

Deleted
Last edited by bonano on Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonano

Post by bonano »

Deleted
Last edited by bonano on Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonano

Post by bonano »

Okay, apparently the 6505 is the 5150, and the 6505+ is the 5150 II, if we're talking about the heads and not the combo.
If we're talking about the 6505+ head, then the following link is to the 5150 II schematic:

Based on this schematic, the tube chart Billy found makes more sense because the 5150 II/6505+ head has SIX preamp tubes!
So, my understanding of this schematic is the following:
Clean Pre = V1a and V6a, V6b :idk:
Lead Pre = V1a, V1b; V2a, V2b; and V5b, V5a
Effects loop = V3b and V3a
Phase Inverter = V4a and V4b
Power = V7 and V8
Last edited by bonano on Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninjaraf

Post by ninjaraf »

I guess if you're not really a 5150 player, maybe never cared about the 5150/6505 rename. But yeah, they're the same, so same schematic.

Not sure if the Sovtek 6l6s are just relabeled. I'm sure that's a possibility.

I agree about tube rolling in 5150s. I never really noticed a TON of difference...pretty subtle differences overall. Plus, these amps can easily get harsh, so makes sense to use JJs for that reason, too.
I like 5150s. The rest of you bullshit amps can get fucked.