Splawn or Friedman?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!

Splawn or Friedman?

Friedman
73%
Splawn
27%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 11

Chris Z

Splawn or Friedman?

Post by Chris Z »

If you're going for that hot rod Marshall, which model and why?

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Splawn or Friedman?

Post by Guitarbilly »

I am going to go with Friedman because it's closer to a hot-rod Marshall feel. The Splawns definitely get the Marshall tone but they feel different. They're tighter and stiffer. Almost like a cross between a Marshall and a Fryette. Both brands are great but Friedman is closer to Marshall IMHO.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

I said Friedman but it would have to be the Smallbox, Runt, or preferably the new Plex. Friedman's in general are a bit too smooth for my taste and those three at least have some bite to them. I didn't love the Quickrod that I had. Gear 1 with a boost was about the only tone that I liked on it. Too much bottom and low mids for what I me on Gear 2 and 3.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Splawn because I still have a grudge against Friedman no matter how good his amps sound :lol:

Honestly though if this were me I’d be looking at a Ceriatone yeti/chupa/etc etc :love:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

spawnofthesith wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:09 pm Splawn because I still have a grudge against Friedman no matter how good his amps sound :lol:

Honestly though if this were me I’d be looking at a Ceriatone yeti/chupa/etc etc :love:
I still need to try a Ceriatone of sorts. I’d love to play a Chupacabra.

What’s your grudge against Friedman lol? I’m just legit curious. No judgement.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

eyeball987

Post by eyeball987 »

I have had a few Ceriatone's and they were all really good. Should have kept at least one but I was flipping amps hard back then. A blacked out Yeti and the JEL mod I picked up from Billy were standouts.

sahlomonic

Post by sahlomonic »

I've owned both, and really like both. Friedman is more the style I gravitate towards, but there's also something special about the slightly nasally quality that Splawn amps have. They cut through like a knife, but I've found they have a more limited speaker selection they play nice with. V30s are a no-go IMO with Splawn amps (ymmv), but V30s sound fantastic with Friedman style amps.

Splawn = nasty
Friedman = refined

Friedmans are more traditional Marshall hot-rod style with a cathode follower tone stack, where Splawn amps are a little Cameron-esque (eh, maybe not so much) with a plate fed tone stack. Slightly different flavors going after the same basic style.

However, I'd also agree with eyeball987 about a JEL modded Marshall circuit.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:33 pm I am going to go with Friedman because it's closer to a hot-rod Marshall feel. The Splawns definitely get the Marshall tone but they feel different. They're tighter and stiffer. Almost like a cross between a Marshall and a Fryette. Both brands are great but Friedman is closer to Marshall IMHO.
And now I want a Splawn. I love Fryette and Science (Hiwatt) amps, so maybe a Splawn would be up my alley. I remember really liking sahlomonic's QuickRod & thinking I should get one some day.

greatmutah

Post by greatmutah »

I miss my Deliverance 60. I need to fix that. Sold mine when they were going for under $1K and I shouldn’t have done that.
More guitars than anyone could need
—————
Metropoulos Metroplex Mk I
Egnater Seminar Amp 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk III
Peavey 5150
Fender 1976 Vibrolux Reverb
—————
Marshall 1960A G12M25 Greenbacks
Metropoulos Slant 2x12 G12H75 Creambacks.

Maddnotez

Post by Maddnotez »

Guitarbilly wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:33 pm I am going to go with Friedman because it's closer to a hot-rod Marshall feel. The Splawns definitely get the Marshall tone but they feel different. They're tighter and stiffer. Almost like a cross between a Marshall and a Fryette. Both brands are great but Friedman is closer to Marshall IMHO.
Agree with the stiff comment. I played a 50w comp a few times I believe it was and found nothing that I liked about the amp at all.

I'd maybe try a nitro if it happened to be around but Friedman all day from my experience.