EQ? Eq. EQ! No! Hi-lo-pass. Kinda. Sorta. New pedal.

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
nightflameauto

EQ? Eq. EQ! No! Hi-lo-pass. Kinda. Sorta. New pedal.

Post by nightflameauto »

:wave:

Tryin' ta hide from me and shit. Why I oughtta! :cop: :cop: :cop:

As I've been gear purging to beat the band, maybe literally, because fuck those guys. Am I right?

Wait, what was I saying?

Oh, right, finally sold enough stuff to buy what I'm telling everybody is "my last pedal ever." Barring a lottery win, that's probably true. I've got more boosts than I know what to do with, despite the purge, and all that was missing was that little something to get me just a touch closer to "just fucking record it."

Enter, the Broughton Audio Resonant Filter Equalizer.
Broughton1.jpg
Broughton1.jpg (142.91 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
The controls aren't exactly what you'd think up front. The high pass and low pass are what you'd think. A gentle rolloff of -12db at the frequency you specify that's always on when the pedal is on. The -3 to +15 knob above them is actually a separate cut/boost on top of the always on -12db rolloff. So you can cut at a frequency, then boost or cut specifically at that frequency to either knock it back further, or put a little something back without adding in frequencies you don't want. If you dig scoop? Roll around 110 and around 6-7K and boost the piss out of both. That mid frequency boost/cut (-15/+15) can help you further shape things.

I set up just to get me "what do I wanna hear on the monitor when recording" for this particular tuning. Loosely, since I didn't bother with a mix this morning. Definitely getting me in the ballpark of "scoopy sounds like shit" that I dig, but this time without the flubbery flubbedy flub on the bottom, and without the rats nest at the top that comes with boosted signals. BTW, this is just DSL->loop->Pedal->out to the Mesa cab from one of my DSLs. Certainly changes the nature of the gain structure. Here's where I ended up set:
Broughton2.jpg
Broughton2.jpg (185.84 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Clip:
https://theleehousehold.com/mp3/TestingRFE.mp3

One round of the Sad But True riff without the pedlulz. One with. Then a stereo/two take image. Sounds a little empty without that low end flub, but that'll be plenty of room for a bass. Really dig the stereo image.

Begin manpile here: :twisted:

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: EQ? Eq. EQ! No! Hi-lo-pass. Kinda. Sorta. New pedal.

Post by Guitarbilly »

Oh I've been looking for a pedal like this to use in my ENGL setup. Very cool.

Clip sounds great!!!

nightflameauto

Post by nightflameauto »

Thanks, Billy. They also have a straight lo-hi pass, but the added options on this one made it a no brainer for just a few bucks more. Oh, and I should mention, I tossed this in place of my EQ pedal. Noise floor went to nearly nothing with the gain off. Way happier with this in the loop vs. the normal EQ pedal.

VTM

Post by VTM »

nightflameauto wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:57 am Tryin' ta hide from me and shit.
It was fun while it lasted.

:cop:

nightflameauto

Post by nightflameauto »

VTM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:27 pm
It was fun while it lasted.

:cop:
If I wanted any shit from you I'd wipe your dick off!

https://theleehousehold.com/mp3/WifDrumsFilter.mp3

The EQ with drums and some riffery. No mixing done other than levels.

Really dig riffin' away with this setup. Very late 80s br00tz feelin' in the room. Plus, it can sound like that without peeling paint off the walls. Which makes me curious what it'll sound like when I can really open it up on the weekend. :cop:

VTM

Post by VTM »

nightflameauto wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:48 pm If I wanted any shit from you I'd wipe your dick off!
Welcome to my ignore list.

:wall:

nightflameauto

Post by nightflameauto »

VTM wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:24 pm
nightflameauto wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:48 pm If I wanted any shit from you I'd wipe your dick off!
Welcome to my ignore list.

:wall:
YAY! IT'S A FREE-FOR-ALL!

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I actually think I could work with their stock Lo/Hi pass filter pedal but the midrange control seems like a good addition and the difference between the 2 is only 25 bucks so :hmm:

overdrivenel34s

Post by overdrivenel34s »

Cool pedal.

I have a mini broughton high pass filter pedal on my flyrig board which is really helpful when plugging into unknown back line amp rig to be able to remove some sub rumble, boominess.

It's sort of like the tight knob on the friedman be-od but global for the whole pedal rig and while be-od does work great into some clean amps very good (which that tight knob helps with) in other amps not even close at as good which is why i took the be-od off by board. This way i can use pedals that work better with wider variety of amps and the high pass filter help tighten low end just enough as needed with each rig.

nightflameauto

Post by nightflameauto »

Guitarbilly wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:54 pm I actually think I could work with their stock Lo/Hi pass filter pedal but the midrange control seems like a good addition and the difference between the 2 is only 25 bucks so :hmm:
See? That's how they got me too.

I messed a bit with the Studio Pro and the pedal this morning. As overdrivenel34s says, being able to lop off that low-end rumble really tightens it up. Granted, I'm using it to do stupid things to the mids too, but it's tough to kill that eighties kid inside when I get to chugging these days. Which is rarely, admittedly.