Mark IV combo shell, keep or try and sell?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Mark IV combo shell, keep or try and sell?

Post by spawnofthesith »

Having a headshell built for my IV and considering what to do with the old combo. I frankly don't want it around. I know resale and all that, but the thought of even dumping it at my storage unit sounds repulsive to me.

If I could actually get 300-350 for it I would do that in a heart beat, but I am seriously skeptical anyone is actually trying to by an empty combo shell :idk:

My only other thought was maybe asking the folks building my headshell to also fit a panel on the front, as well as on the back to make it closed back (or convertible from closed to open back) while they were at it. I don't really need/want a second 1x12 cab but this is the only way I can really think to justify not punting it to the dumpster :lol: I feel like that will still look kinda janky, and I'm not sure if the empty space above the speaker would negatively impact the tone :idk:

Thoughts?
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Mark IV combo shell, keep or try and sell?

Post by Guitarbilly »

spawnofthesith wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:28 pm I frankly don't want it around.
That's your answer.

I don't think it will affect resale at all if the headshell is well built, and Mark heads sell faster than combos.

Most people looking for combos want either something more vintage/classic like Fenders Vox etc or something light and portable. The Mark IV combos are neither these things. They're high gain monsters and they're heavy as shit. There's a lot more demand for MkIV heads than combos.

Put it for sale for enough to cover shipping and a few bucks on the side so it sells fast, get rid of it and don't look back.

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Guitarbilly wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:36 pm
spawnofthesith wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:28 pm I frankly don't want it around.
That's your answer.

I don't think it will affect resale at all if the headshell is well built, and Mark heads sell faster than combos.

Most people looking for combos want either something more vintage/classic like Fenders Vox etc or something light and portable. The Mark IV combos are neither these things. They're high gain monsters and they're heavy as shit. There's a lot more demand for MkIV heads than combos.

Put it for sale for enough to cover shipping and a few bucks on the side so it sells fast, get rid of it and don't look back.
Word, I agree I think

I guess at the price I paid for this, even if I was a "resale" type of guy, I can't imagine I wouldn't still come out ahead, if I was dumb enough to ever sell the amp.

Now is just the waiting game for the shell. Should only be a few weeks. In the meantime, getting it converted to US voltage. I've got the fuses and varistor on order. I've received conflicting info from Mesa on whether or not a retap is possible. Schematic says yes, one person at mesa said yes, another person at mesa said I have to replace entirely. My tech will let me know the truth once the parts come in :lol:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

100% of the people I know that like MarkIIIs and IVs prefer the head. Including me. And you :D you got the combo because it was a crazy deal since he thought it was not working.

Mark I and II, I can see a demand for the combos because Santana. III and up are primarily hard rock/metal amps and people want the heads....