Thinking of trying to fill my marshall hole now...

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

Thinking of trying to fill my marshall hole now...

Post by spawnofthesith »

Slow day at work so in the spirit of active addiction and fucking around I'm thinking about marshall circuits.

The blasphemous truth is that I kinda DGAF about marshall tone for the most part and never really have. Still would be nice to have something truly marshally though. Only "proper" marshall I ever owned was a JVM210H (there was also a dsl401 combo that lasted 30 min). It was a cool amp, but I can't say I've ever even slightly regretted trading it for 5153+2x12

I feel like I'd be most interested in something like the cariatone chupa/yeti/leviathon/king kong etc. etc.

The Runt 50 is intriguing to me, and the used price seems nice. I think Billy said it basically sounded really similar to the DSL? Which if so would make a lot more sense at half the price. Is the Runt based on any marshall circuit in particular? One thing that interests me with the Friedmans is that people often describe them as being more smooth and processed sounding compared to a real marshall. That is usually a negative statement, but knowing myself and what I like I feel like that could actually end up being a plus

And of course the easiest and cheapest option would always be to just grab a DSL for the marshall experience..

Any thoughts?
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of trying to fill my marshall hole now...

Post by Guitarbilly »

The Runt and the DSL100H are indeed very similar. The Friedman preamp is a bit smoother but it's a very small difference. The Runt is probably the least processed sounding of the Friedmans.

The DSL is cheaper and it's 100w so the extra headroom is nice and it sounds fuller overall. And it has a bit more of that Marshall kerrang but the Friedmanis close in that regard.

The Runt is smaller, lighter, has a nice DI out and it's probably built better (although I haven't had an issue with either amp).

So there are pros and cons to both. Both amps sound better than the JVM210 IMHO

Another possible option would be the Pink Taco. I normally stay away from EL84 amps but the Dirty Shirley Mini has impressed me.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Since Marshall isn't really your "home territory" so to speak, I would get a DSL and call it a day. They're excellent amps at a great price and will get you the Marshall tone in spades.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:01 pm Since Marshall isn't really your "home territory" so to speak, I would get a DSL and call it a day. They're excellent amps at a great price and will get you the Marshall tone in spades.
Can't argue with that logic. Hell, Marshall IS my wheelhouse and I've been happy with the DSL

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:01 pm Since Marshall isn't really your "home territory" so to speak, I would get a DSL and call it a day. They're excellent amps at a great price and will get you the Marshall tone in spades.

i agree, i thought my 100H would "hold me over" till i found a "real" marshall, but the DSL is just fine

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Word, I guess easiest/most obvious/cheapest solution is perfect here :lol:

Gravity music gear had a jcm2000 for 600 last time I was in there but looks like it’s gone now :cry:
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein »

Another vote for a DSL...of course I would vote for the 2000 series ones (the 50 or the 100...both incredibly easy to get, though the 50's generally sell for a bit of a premium for some reason), but if you don't mind the cheaper outside construction of the modern built ones you'll have an even EASIER time finding one.
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2023 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein »

Also...it is very much a buyer's market right now. I just scored a mercury magnetics loaded DSL50 that was listed for $800 for just $650. Don't be afraid to put in low offers (my first offer was $550, but we settled on the $650).
1988 MIJ Fender ST54 Hardtail Strat
2005 Edwards E-JR-100LT/DC
2012 Gibson LP Trad Mahog
2015 Fender RW '50s Strat
2023 Gibson LPJ
2024 Epiphone LPC
-------
2003 Marshall DSL50
2021 Epic AR50
2022 Mojotone British 800 2204
2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

I too, was never a Marshall fan... they always sounded shrill and thin to me.
When ever I was forced played one, either at a rehearsal studio or in a backline, I'd put the treble on 2, dimed out the mids and bass and of course, turn the presence off -and- hit it with the EQD Speaker Cranker out front. With this arrangement, I get a pretty decent sound.
I never had any interest in buying a Marshall until the 2017 2555X Jubilee Reissue went on sale for $1200. I had to get one partially because, at that time, I was in full GAS mode and If I didn't like it, I could easily flip it at a profit.
It turned out to be a keeper.

That being said, I was lucky to have had a chance to play Billy's DSL. It was remarkably good and helped to dispel some of my dislike for Marshalls.
You can't go wrong with a DSL
Last edited by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT on Tue May 21, 2024 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd

I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT

Post by I'MAPUNKROCKERDAMNIT »

cliffenstein wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 am I just scored a mercury magnetics loaded DSL50 that was listed for $800 for just $650. ).

Congrats on the incoming DLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:
Get an EQD Special Cranker. They work really well with Marshalls and thicken up the sound a lot. . I like them better than Tubescreamers.
Walt said: When the hour is nigh & the lights are low & I got a toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth & my friends want to hear me play Into the Void or TNT or Cemetery Gates I plug my $600 guitar into my $150 amp and I am a Rawk gawd