80s MIJ Squiers?

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
spawnofthesith

80s MIJ Squiers?

Post by spawnofthesith »

I have a disturbing lack of telecaster in my lineup, and I saw that my local used shop has an '85 MIJ squier for $550. From what I'm reading these were made by Fuji Gen? Anyone have any experience with these??

Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Vladimir Putin

Re: 80s MIJ Squiers?

Post by Vladimir Putin »

They are typically very heavy and honestly I haven't loved most of them that I've played. There are some gems out there so definitely play before you buy. That is considered to be one of the better ones.
Ukraine? Mykraine

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

ive never played one but i do remember reading in a few places in my fender searching that those and regular MIJ fenders from the 80s are good

spawnofthesith

Post by spawnofthesith »

Vladimir Putin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 pm They are typically very heavy and honestly I haven't loved most of them that I've played. There are some gems out there so definitely play before you buy. That is considered to be one of the better ones.

Word. I'll probably go give it a test spin this weekend and simmer on it. Not really in a purchasing mode right now, but I'd be comfortable dropping that on a nice tele easy

My thinskin tele was almost 10lbs, I'm no stranger to boat anchor lol. Not preferred though
Guitars: PRS/Gibson
Amps: Mesa Mark V | '76 Fender Deluxe Reverb | EVH 5153 6L6 50w| Mesa Mark IV

Band: https://linktr.ee/jawaofficialband

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

I am probably going to be in the minority but I think the 80s MIJ Fenders are a bit overrated. They're not bad guitars but they're not the gems some consider them to be either.
Honestly the current Player Series MIM guitars are better and more consistent.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Guitarbilly wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:52 pm I am probably going to be in the minority but I think the 80s MIJ Fenders are a bit overrated. They're not bad guitars but they're not the gems some consider them to be either.
Honestly the current Player Series MIM guitars are better and more consistent.
That's what I'm saying too.

But there are *some* gems out there. My dad had a Strat from the line that was a killer, and lightweight, strat.

Me on the other hand... I've bought several 80s MIJ Fenders and they've all been turds.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

spawnofthesith wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 pm
Vladimir Putin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 pm They are typically very heavy and honestly I haven't loved most of them that I've played. There are some gems out there so definitely play before you buy. That is considered to be one of the better ones.

Word. I'll probably go give it a test spin this weekend and simmer on it. Not really in a purchasing mode right now, but I'd be comfortable dropping that on a nice tele easy

My thinskin tele was almost 10lbs, I'm no stranger to boat anchor lol. Not preferred though
What the actual fuck?! :freak:

A Tele should be in the 7lb range, 8 tops. Not high 8s but actual 8lb max.

The 80s MIJ Fenders I've played that were boat anchors, which has been most of them, didn't sound great either. Not lively at all, and just dead sounding guitars with way too much finish.
Ukraine? Mykraine

thermionic geek

Post by thermionic geek »

I have played a few. All Strats though. If you play it and like it great. There was a time in the mid 80's that they were very, very good. They are heavy by modern standards. Pickups were mid but I'm not a Strat guy so I could be wrong. The guitars themselves were some of the nicest feeling necks I have played.