1987 Anderson Pro Am valuation help

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
VinDSL

1987 Anderson Pro Am valuation help

Post by VinDSL »

So I bought this Anderson Pro Am about 30 years ago, at the time it had a white finish on the body and headstock, and there was some pretty significant dings and such on it. Down the road I decided that I wanted to repaint it and install a Graphtec Ghost Hexpander on it. I took to a luthier here in Houston and he did a great job with it, we went with a metallic orange paint, which meant that the white head-stock (and Anderson logo) had to go. I also decided to install 2 Duncan Hotrails.

Fast forward to now, I'm thinking about selling it, I paid $1000 for it in 1993. I see some Pro Ams going for $3-5K, I doubt that due to the modifications I made I can get that, but it's still an Anderson. I called Anderson and they said that I can ship them the neck and they can re-logo it for $250. I thinking that's probably not a bad idea to get that done, it should remove any doubt that its a fake Anderson. I night also add that I no longer have the original single coils.

So here's my questions; should I get the Logo back on the headstock, and in your opinion what would you say the value is with and without the logo? It plays and sounds great and stays in tune.

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Re: 1987 Anderson Pro Am valuation help

Post by Guitarbilly »

By all means get it re-logo'd. This guitar will sit unsold forever without it. The $250 will be well worth it.

For value I'd say $2800-3200 with the logo back on. Without the logo, probably about $2000-2300 but it's a HARD sell. People looking for Andersons don't want a blank headstock. It will move much faster with the logo back on.

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

How many of those mini toggles are factory? I'd say, and agree with Billy, that as-is you're going to have trouble selling it at any price. Too low and people will assume it's a scam/fake, and too high and people will look elsewhere for a non-molested TA. With the re-logo it all depends on how close it is to stock aside from the re-paint. It does look like a nice refinish, and I like that color quite a bit.
Ukraine? Mykraine

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

The 4 chrome switches are the stock old school Anderson wiring.

The black switches at the bottom is not stock, probably the Ghost Expander?

Vladimir Putin

Post by Vladimir Putin »

Oh I gotcha! I knew they had some unique wiring setups back then but I'm not super familiar with TA options.

Good luck with sale, OP
Ukraine? Mykraine

VinDSL

Post by VinDSL »

the black switches at the bottom is not stock, probably the Ghost Expander?

Yep!

Thanks guys for the input, shipping the neck off tomorrow, I hope UPS doesn't F me around. They said to insure the neck for $800.

macaronisalad

Post by macaronisalad »

I like that thing a lot. Though I don't know much about the valuation.
The artist formerly known as macaronisalad.