Crap gear that sounds good

For all discussions about electric, acoustic and bass guitars, guitar amps, effects, modelers this is the place!!!!!
Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Crap gear that sounds good

Post by Guitarbilly »

So, just out of boredom, we decided to have a random practice this afternoon since every body had the day off for some odd coincidence.

I was too lazy to carry my 4x12 so I just took the 2203 and my board and decided to use whatever they had available at the studio.

So I get there and that's the only 4x12 they had:

This a cheap "Raven" cab, which GC was selling as their store brand for a while. So I was expecting the worse.

I plug my amp in and it sounds awesome!! The speakers are a bit like greenbacks but smoothed out in the highs. They're also not very efficient so it allowed me to turn the amp up without getting super loud.

I was so impressed with the cab I asked the studio owner if he wanted to sell it to me. He told me to give him 100 bucks for it :lol: I bought it on the spot lol NCD!!!!

If you find this cab for cheap on your CL or a local pawn shop, I really recommend it. I have no idea what speakers are in it or if it's plywood or mdf etc... I haven't had the time to open it up yet but it sounds great lol

Anyways what's some other gear that should be crap but isn't?

maggotspawn

Re: Crap gear that sounds good

Post by maggotspawn »

Good to know. Congrats. I was selling a XXX head to GC. Dude plugged it into a Line 6 cab, and it actually sounded pretty killer.

thermionic geek

Post by thermionic geek »

These

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Overwound- ... p_575.html

Not even GFS brand. They are just cheap pickups GFS bought to sell cheap. I have no idea what magic happened when these were made but if you want a beefy strat tone while still having actual strat highs that don't kill you these are great, honestly some of the best single coils I have ever used.

RaceU4her

Post by RaceU4her »

ill second GFS pickups, i actually just picked up my SG that has the hot 59' or whatever its called for the first time in a while and forgot just how great this guitar sounds, it may be my best sounding guitar.

madrigal77

Post by madrigal77 »

LTD locking tuners. My EC-1000 came with them and I was fully expecting to swap them out for some Gotoh, but they are pretty darn good. Apparently they are rebranded Jin Ho. 19:1 gear ratio. Smooth and accurate. I think they go for like $40 which is a killer deal.
Guitars:
ESP MX-2 White
ESP Eclipse II Vintage Black
LTD EC-1000T CTM Violet Shadow
Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
Amps:
Fractal FM3 MKII Turbo
Laney LFR-212

Guitarbilly
Site Admin

Post by Guitarbilly »

Yeah Jin Ho locking tuners are indeed awesome

Yarbicus

Post by Yarbicus »

GFS pickups. Joyo pedals. Kirlin instrument cables. I just got a screaming deal on a plain Jane Squier Tele and damn if it doesn't feel and look awesome as well as having true tele spank.